Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net> on 2014/05/20 09:13:20 UTC

maven-invoker-plugin: running ITs in parallel?

Hi all,

*TL;DR: does anyone use the parallelThreads option in maven-invoker-plugin?
Do you also have issues with concurrent local repository access? If so, how
do you solve them?*

I've recently come across the parallelThreads option in
maven-invoker-plugin. After having tried to use it a few times, I'm
currently stuck.

It fails randomly, and not surprisingly it seems like it comes from the
fact the local-repo is shared between ITs. While downloading from the MRM,
there's always one jars that fails to be written to the disk because of a
likely concurrent access.

My first thought was to try and have a separate localRepository per IT. But
I can't find a property or even a workaround to do that.

Because filing an issue to m-invoker-p, I wanted to check here if I was
missing something.

Thanks for your help.

-- Baptiste

Re: maven-invoker-plugin: running ITs in parallel?

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.
Thanks Karl-Heinz. My current understanding is indeed that this option is
very attractive at first, but cannot currently work in practice. Having had
a quick in the code, I didn't see any IT testing this property. I'll keep
you posted about my potential findings.

Thanks

> Hi Baptiste,
>
> I'm working often with maven-invoker and have found an issue with
> parallelThreads option (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MINVOKER-147).
>
> The local shared repos is also a problem.
>
> The should be something like a repo per IT...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl-Heinz Marbaise
>
> > *TL;DR: does anyone use the parallelThreads option in
> maven-invoker-plugin?
>
>> Do you also have issues with concurrent local repository access? If so,
>> how
>> do you solve them?*
>>

>> I've recently come across the parallelThreads option in
>> maven-invoker-plugin. After having tried to use it a few times, I'm
>> currently stuck.
>>
>> It fails randomly, and not surprisingly it seems like it comes from the
>> fact the local-repo is shared between ITs. While downloading from the MRM,
>> there's always one jars that fails to be written to the disk because of a
>> likely concurrent access.
>>
>> My first thought was to try and have a separate localRepository per IT.
>> But
>> I can't find a property or even a workaround to do that.
>>
>> Because filing an issue to m-invoker-p, I wanted to check here if I was
>> missing something.

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: maven-invoker-plugin: running ITs in parallel?

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Baptiste,

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.
IIUC your proposition is to play with defining <localRepository /> value to
variabilize the value with the current project?
Unfortunately I don't think this is gonna work since <localRepository /> is
actually totally ignored by design. You define <localRepositoryPath> once
directly in the m-invoker-p configuration block in the pom.xml.

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: maven-invoker-plugin: running ITs in parallel?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Eh you might be able to...

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.
Yup, I know this work is still underway, no problem. I realize I wasn't
clear enough (and my TL;DR may have been be misleading).

I was also wondering if there was a workaround where you could define a
specific path *per it* for the local repository. But unfortunately from a
quick look at InvokerMojo.java I don't think it is possible.

Thanks for your feedback.

:

> AFIK this is one is unsolved. We have a number of kludges that involve
> resolving all the required deps to the local repository *before*
> starting the parallel process, at least 2 og 3 projects do it this
> way. As far as I understand solving concurrent thread safe repo in the
> latest maven version should be trivial, but it needs to be solved in
> the core.
>
> Kristian

> > Hi all,
> >
> > *TL;DR: does anyone use the parallelThreads option in
> maven-invoker-plugin?
> > Do you also have issues with concurrent local repository access? If so,
> how
> > do you solve them?*
> >
> > I've recently come across the parallelThreads option in
> > maven-invoker-plugin. After having tried to use it a few times, I'm
> > currently stuck.
> >
> > It fails randomly, and not surprisingly it seems like it comes from the
> > fact the local-repo is shared between ITs. While downloading from the
> MRM,
> > there's always one jars that fails to be written to the disk because of a
> > likely concurrent access.
> >
> > My first thought was to try and have a separate localRepository per IT.
> But
> > I can't find a property or even a workaround to do that.
> >
> > Because filing an issue to m-invoker-p, I wanted to check here if I was
> > missing something.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > -- Baptiste

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: maven-invoker-plugin: running ITs in parallel?

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.