Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2008/06/01 01:04:06 UTC

Re: Discussion: Main Content Layout Best Practices

I know the two subjects were mixed in some replies. I understand what you mean though. ;-)

-Adrian

Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com> wrote: I was for separating create forms and search/result forms, I was not
suggesting that we should separate the search forms themselves.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Adrian,

From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@yahoo.com>
> In the UI work I've done, I have tried to keep accessibility an important priority. One of the things I like about having a
> scalable UI is that sight impaired people can crank up their browser's default font to see it better. The simplified markup is
> great for screen readers. Keeping OFBiz accessible to the blind is one reason why I want the screen widgets to output plain HTML
> in addition to all the new, fancy Ajax stuff.
>
> I agree we're doing pretty well. The only thing we're missing is a "Skip Menus" button at the top of the screen.

I began to work on this using the solution described in the chapter 8 of Jeffrey Zeldman's "Designing With Web Standards, 2nd
edition" (I also added a link to this valuable book from the Wiki Books page).
I commited the work in progress in rev. 662598
It should work but I was unable to test it in the limited time I gave to this feature tonight (accesskey is a nightmare).

Jacques
PS : Actually I wondered about accesskey, I finally found in http://www.wats.ca/show.php?contentid=32 : <<even these keys would be
inaccessible to users not using a North American Standard (QWERTY) keyboard>>, clearly not efficient :(
Some works done tough : http://www.wats.ca/show.php?contentid=43

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>
> Yes, I think that the Skip Menu is something that could be useful even to
> people not impaired but particulary "affetionated" to the keyboard and to
> DOS applications.

Some work done, but in its state (which does not seem to have a chance to change) accesskey is a quasi deadlock :(

> One more thing to consider in the layout best practice is the hiding of
> every menu command that is not available due to the actual user permission.
> We have had a thread about this in this ML and I think we should put it in
> this best practice list also.

+1

Jacques

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@yahoo.com>

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>
[...]

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
I agree with both points summarized by Adrian.

Since we were also speaking about the screenlet header and what control
should be visible there, I would like to remind
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1750 where there was a proposal
of having a little icon on the screenlet title bar offering contextual help.
Since the screenlet is supposed to be used to split the page content into
several conceptual aggregated information may be these information could be
linked as a whole to a single help page.
Having a best practice to put the help link would be fine.