Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Young, Jason (GE Infrastructure)" <Ja...@ge.com> on 2006/02/22 15:09:37 UTC

Searching within files

Is there a way to search inside all the files in the repository for a
certain string?  We miss this functionality from source safe.  We also
want to be able to search for certain file names.

Thanks!
Jason

Re: Searching within files

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
Also, the discussion has just started on the dev list about implementing
the "svn find" functionality. Maybe you could offer some "user
perspective".

Cheers,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si

Re: Searching within files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 22, 2006, at 16:09, Young, Jason (GE Infrastructure) wrote:

> Is there a way to search inside all the files in the repository for a
> certain string?  We miss this functionality from source safe.  We also
> want to be able to search for certain file names.

I don't think anything like that is built-in. You can write a post-
commit hook which takes such data and writes it into a database of
your own creation (a MySQL database, say) for which you can then
write a frontend to enable you to conduct the queries you want.
Perhaps someone has even written such a system already that you could
use.