Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org> on 2008/03/22 01:51:37 UTC

[CLI] Release CLI2 ?

hi all,
i'm working on a project that is using CLI2 for an interactive console
application. To my understanding, CLI2 is not released nor is a
snapshot available in the m2 repository. so i'm wondering what is
missing for a CLI2 release? What does the community think of a CLI2
release? is it used by many projects at all?

i would volunteer to work on the issues that prevent a release.
regards, toby

Re: [CLI] Release CLI2 ?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
> >  >  My work practice will be to take a branch of Commons CLI using either
>  >  >  Bazaar or Git -- I don't think Mercurial has proper Subversion support
>  >  >  as yet, so is not an option.  This will almost certainly be a branch
>  >  >  without previous history to avoid having to process 639959 commits!  I
>  >  >  will then keep a Subversion Head mirror and a personal branch of changes
>  >  >  to create patches.  I would publish these branches and cross merge with
>  >  >  anyone else actively working on this.  So this solves the problem of
>  >  >  needing Subversion commit access to progress. However, it does require
>  >  >  someone with commit access to triage and process patches on an active
>  >  >  basis.
>  >
>  >  As long as it ends up being atomic patches in the JIRA; any work
>  >  practice is great :)
>  i'd be happy to work on the issues as well. since i don't have the
>  proper JIRA karma to accept issues, how should we coordinate issue
>  resolving?

Generally you just comment and attach patches; then when the patch is
applied the issue is closed. The assign and resolve features are
rarely used.

If you're working on a feature, just say so in the comment.

Hen

Re: [CLI] Release CLI2 ?

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org>.
>  >  My work practice will be to take a branch of Commons CLI using either
>  >  Bazaar or Git -- I don't think Mercurial has proper Subversion support
>  >  as yet, so is not an option.  This will almost certainly be a branch
>  >  without previous history to avoid having to process 639959 commits!  I
>  >  will then keep a Subversion Head mirror and a personal branch of changes
>  >  to create patches.  I would publish these branches and cross merge with
>  >  anyone else actively working on this.  So this solves the problem of
>  >  needing Subversion commit access to progress. However, it does require
>  >  someone with commit access to triage and process patches on an active
>  >  basis.
>
>  As long as it ends up being atomic patches in the JIRA; any work
>  practice is great :)
i'd be happy to work on the issues as well. since i don't have the
proper JIRA karma to accept issues, how should we coordinate issue
resolving?

>  I build the site under m1 and then look at the reports. Found one nice
>  bug with findbugs tonight, other noise to fix, like should the
>  Comparators implement Serializable, and should Option because it's in
>  an Exception. Lots of checkstyle noise, but because the style isn't
>  set yet. PMD has nothing, which is good. It's usually the most
>  important one to get zero'd out.
i will look into it and provide the necessary pom patches.

regards, toby

Re: [CLI] Release CLI2 ?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Russel Winder
<ru...@concertant.com> wrote:
> Henri,
>

>  On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 19:14 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>  > We need to get the damn thing out. :)
>
>  I think it is also worth having someone actively working on this who is
>  part of the commit team.

Definitely no one disagreeing with that there.

> I appreciate there are zillions of trendy new
>  annotation-based packages, but there is a role for a builder-based
>  package, and it would be good if Commons CLI was the acknowledged de
>  facto standard.  To do this it need to be steadily active as a project.
>  This means one or two people committed to processing issues as and when
>  they arrive.

Agreed.

3 of the 16 issues in 2.0 have unapplied patches to look at, though
two are really a combination:

CLI-61, CLI-144, CLI-145 (test part).

>  Starting mid-April I can get back to having a look at Commons CLI2  for
>  Groovy and Gant, which is likely to create a sequence of issues.  As
>  long as there are a few people working on it there is a small community
>  who can keep the energy going, then I think it may be possible to
>  breathe life back into Comons CLI.

My experience is that if you are active, others will be active. For
any community (or subcommunity in this case), someone needs to supply
the heartbeat.  A steady stream of commitment. That's been the problem
for CLI, lacking that defined heartbeat.

>  My work practice will be to take a branch of Commons CLI using either
>  Bazaar or Git -- I don't think Mercurial has proper Subversion support
>  as yet, so is not an option.  This will almost certainly be a branch
>  without previous history to avoid having to process 639959 commits!  I
>  will then keep a Subversion Head mirror and a personal branch of changes
>  to create patches.  I would publish these branches and cross merge with
>  anyone else actively working on this.  So this solves the problem of
>  needing Subversion commit access to progress. However, it does require
>  someone with commit access to triage and process patches on an active
>  basis.

As long as it ends up being atomic patches in the JIRA; any work
practice is great :)

>  > >  i would volunteer to work on the issues that prevent a release.
>  >
>  > In no particular order:
>  >
>  > * Solve, or recommend moving to 2.1, all the 2.0 issues in JIRA.
>
>  Commons CLI Trunk Head compiles and installs to my local Maven
>  repository just fine using Maven 2, i.e. "mvn install" does exactly what
>  it should.  The problem I guess is knowing what is 2.0 and what is 2.1.
>  As an outsider looking in without looking too hard I would say there is
>  2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and nothing else.

They're versions in JIRA.

2.0=fix before release, 2.1=fix after release.

Re: [CLI] Release CLI2 ?

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@concertant.com>.
Henri,

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 19:14 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:

> We need to get the damn thing out. :)

I think it is also worth having someone actively working on this who is
part of the commit team.  I appreciate there are zillions of trendy new

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077

Re: [CLI] Release CLI2 ?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
> >  > hi all,
>  >  >  i'm working on a project that is using CLI2 for an interactive console
>  >  >  application. To my understanding, CLI2 is not released nor is a
>  >  >  snapshot available in the m2 repository. so i'm wondering what is
>  >  >  missing for a CLI2 release? What does the community think of a CLI2
>  >  >  release? is it used by many projects at all?
>  >
>  >  We need to get the damn thing out. :)
>  >
>  >
>  >  >  i would volunteer to work on the issues that prevent a release.
>  >
>  >  In no particular order:
>  >
>  >  * Solve, or recommend moving to 2.1, all the 2.0 issues in JIRA.
>  >  * Make sure M2 is happily building the site, distribution etc.
>  i just ran "mvn install" and "mvn site" and these seems to work ok.

Yep, does seem to be pretty much there.

>  >  * Make sure the checkstyle/pmd/findbugs aren't full of problems.
>  checkstyle is currently not enabled. but i can do this later.

I just enabled checkstyle + findbugs for maven1. I tend to use them
there as I get OOMs in maven2.

>  since i don't know the very details of the code yet, maybe you or
>  another CLI team members can point me out which of the issues are
>  show-stoppers for a 2.0 release, and i will try to contribute patches.

It's an odd situation where no one knows the details of the code very
well. Anything that has been recognized as not a blocker for a 2.0
release is in 2.1, entirely likely other 2.0 issues could be moved to
2.1 too.

Hen

Re: [CLI] Release CLI2 ?

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org>.