Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by pavan <pa...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/28 03:55:01 UTC

hadoop setup

Hi ,

I am very new to Hadoop. I am trying to run few sample prog. In Standalone
(or local) mode. I have installed Cygwin in my windows machine. I am trying
to run the command "hadoop version" to verify whether hadoop installed
successfully or not. I have downloaded hadoop-2.2.0 version.

I have downloaded hadoop :  C:\Users\Pavan\Downloads\

I tried to setup the PATH variable in Cygwin as below

$ echo $JAVA_HOME

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_32

$ export HADOOP_INSTALL=/cygdrive/c/Users/Pavan/Downloads/hadoop

$ export PATH=$PATH:$HADOOP_INSTALL/bin:$HADOOP_INSTALL/sbin

I am trying to run the command "hadoop version" and end up with the
following error. Please help me in resolving this error.

$ hadoop version

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/util/VersionInfo

org.apache.hadoop.util.VersionInfo

Could not find the main class: org.apache.hadoop.util.VersionInfo.  Program
will
exit.

Exception in thread "main"

Thanks

Pavan Kumar D

RE: hadoop setup

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
As of the last release, Hadoop 2.2 supports Windows natively. Thus, old
workarounds like Cygwin are now un-supported. Please refer to the new
documentation mentioned below (and copied here) for latest instructions
for Hadoop on Windows.

https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hadoop2OnWindows

If you are running Hadoop 1, then please check out branch-1-win and use
that for running Hadoop 1 natively on Windows.

Posted by Pavan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Everyone mentioned that using Cygwin we can try Hadoop on windows.

Ex:The book "Hadoop: the definitive guide by Tom white" also mentions this.

???

Re: hadoop setup

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Cygwin is not supported.