Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by olivier lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/12/17 09:17:31 UTC

Merging shitty-maven-plugin and maven-invoker-plugin was [Re: [MECLIPSE] refactor IT tests to use shitty maven plugin ?]

Hi,

Agree on merge but in a new plugin or merging in maven-invoker-plugin ?
Before starting this work, I'd like to release the current
maven-invoker-plugin to not delay some other releases which depends on this.
I will call a vote today.
After we can work on the merge.

Thoughs ? or objections ?

--
Olivier

Re: Merging shitty-maven-plugin and maven-invoker-plugin was [Re: [MECLIPSE] refactor IT tests to use shitty maven plugin ?]

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 17, 2007 9:17 AM, olivier lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Agree on merge but in a new plugin or merging in maven-invoker-plugin ?
> Before starting this work, I'd like to release the current
> maven-invoker-plugin to not delay some other releases which depends on this.
> I will call a vote today.
> After we can work on the merge.
>
> Thoughs ? or objections ?

My 2 cents:

Note: I've tried both for the webstart plugin and I prefer the shitty one (sic).

I've ran into problems using the invoker while using a local
repository (as done in the MJAR), because my project is a multiple
module project and I have integration tests in a sub module. Due to
this setup, the invoker couldn't find the parent deployed in the local
repository as the only installed module was the child one. Didn't
spend too much time trying to fix this though, as I switched to the
shitty one and it just worked.

And I prefer using groovy than beanshell :)

Cheers,

Jerome

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
You allready have my +1 ;-)

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 25, 2007 2:04 PM, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> I'm personally not very interested in merging the plugins.  I can
> explain more when I'm back from Thailand :-)

I use integration tests for 2 purposes:
* verifying
* documenting the use of the plugins

Such report would also allow user to get working examples.

It would be good if the various integration test plugins could reuse a
single format for documenting the test results. This could be used to
create a site report and, combined with a way of zipping the it
projects, giving access to working zip files to the users.

Anyone who wants to discuss such a feature is welcome to the discussion here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSHITTY-9

We might want to summarize it in a wiki later on.

Cheers,

Jerome

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I'm personally not very interested in merging the plugins.  I can
explain more when I'm back from Thailand :-)

--jason

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
As mentioned before I'm not a big fan of merging these plugins.  IMO,
SHITTY provides a lot of additional functionality on top of what the
maven-invoker-plugin provides, like:

  * Groovy integration
  * More flexible configuration
  * Clean and install support integrated (for less pom.xml
configuration)
  * ANSI color support
  * Parallel test invocation
  * Support for richer test validation and rejection
  * Smarter handling for invocations when project defines no tests

At first I was using the maven-clean-plugin, maven-install-plugin and
maven-inovker-plugin, but I found it insufficient in my desire to
simplify configuration and allow some projects to define tests and
others to omit them.  I also wanted to add colors to make it a little
easier for me to grok the output, run tests in parallel, support more
flexible validation and a bunch of other issues.  So I choose to write
a new plugin at the Codehaus, which allows me to *very quickly* add
features, respond to problems and grow the functionality of the
plugin.  Apache plugins on the other hand are a little more limited in
flexibility, which tends to slow the release cycle and IMO puts a bit
of a damper on innovation from the reduced numbers of iterations.  Its
not a knock on Apache, as I'm a commiter and PMC member, but that is
really and at this point in the life of SHITTY I believe that its best
to continue living at the Codehaus.

IMO, invoker is useful, but so is SHITTY.  I created SHITTY because I
needed something that worked NOW, and didn't have time to wait weeks
or months for patch review and application, and then weeks or months
more for a release so I could actually use it.

Personally I don't think folks really care about BeanShell vs.
Groovy... and if I took a pool I'd imaging most folks would rather
have Groovy.  But if its a big deal I can make SHITTY run BeanShell
scripts.

Anyways... SHITTY was created out of my frustration with clean,
install and invoker... to make my life easier, and allow me to build
projects (mostly mojo projects) which had some reasonable tests to
ensure that I didn't screw anything up.  I personally don't see that
clean, install and invoker plugins merging together.  So I'd rather
see the invoker continue to be a plugin to help with invocation of sub-
maven builds, and SHITTY for complete integration testing of sub-maven
builds.  Maybe one day they can share more code... though since SHITTY
is written in Groovy and maven-invoker-plugin is Java, I'm not sure
how that will work out.

I think some time is still needed to add more features and let both
plugins mature...

Hope that helps some :-)

--jason