Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com> on 2020/06/23 13:04:47 UTC

smoke tests for the runtime

Hey all,

Is there a set of tests that run against a real tomcat runtime anywhere in
the project already? I haven't found any and I'd like to put something
together that would run against base configurations of Tomcat running in
JPMS and OSGi modes.

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Re: smoke tests for the runtime

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.
On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:54 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 23/06/2020 14:04, Raymond Auge wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Is there a set of tests that run against a real tomcat runtime anywhere
> > in the project already? I haven't found any and I'd like to put
> > something together that would run against base configurations of Tomcat
> > running in JPMS and OSGi modes.
>
> If I want a trivial smoke test I play the snake game from the examples
> across a couple of browsers.

This is what I've been doing, going through several of the examples to
assure they don't blow up :D

> If you want something more comprehensive you could use the Servlet TCK
> or the JSP TCK although getting them set up can be non-trivial.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Jakarta+EE+TCKs
>
> That would work for 9.0.x or 10.0.x as long as you use the right TCK
> version.

Interesting, a little heavier than I hoped but maybe a trimmed version of
this could be used.

> Another option I often use is Jira. Download the eval version, build the
> WAR (I don't think you can download a WAR directly but it has been a
> while) and see if Jira starts.
>
> That is only going to work for Tomcat 9 at this point.

That's a bigger limitation than I like since I'm specifically wishing to
make sure both master and 9.0.x continue to work.

Thanks Mark! I'll consider this.

- Ray

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.