Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com> on 2012/12/20 04:17:11 UTC

What should I do with a 48-node cluster

Hi,

Someone wants to give me (OK, sell, but for the cheap) a 48-node cluster of
decent blades, a few years old. Should I even thy to think of what to do
with them, given that one can use dedicated servers and Amazon's EC2?

Thank you. Sincerely,
Mark

Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
Thank you again for your advice. I may be asking the group for more once it
becomes real :)

Cheers,
Mark

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
The infiniband connection to the disk unit might help with the I/O issue.
 The memory is a bit tight, but should be possible to make it work.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
True!

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
Jay,

my "nature" is Houston, TX, they will argue about who can "cool" whom :)

I am thinking of $500/month rack hosting.

Mark

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
Jay,

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
Jay,

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
Jay,

Posted by Jay <ss...@yahoo.com>.

________________________________

Posted by Jay <ss...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jay <ss...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jay <ss...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Uhm... not exactly.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
True!

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Uhm... not exactly.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
True!

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
True!

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Uhm... not exactly.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Uhm... not exactly.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
I had two servers at home, that's like a small airplane.

However, I have seen silent servers in a lab I am working in.

My price on that rack might be close to $0.

Then I could host a rack for $500/month. And if a machine breaks, I will
throw it away. So that makes for $ maintenance cost.

You see, I am still toying with the idea.

Thank you for everyone's answers.

Mark

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
I am toying with exactly that idea. My startup does Hadoop eDiscovery, only
we usually do it on EC2. Getting down to earth is exciting but worrying.

Mark

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.