Posted to user@ode.apache.org by Chris Taylor <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/08 20:37:03 UTC

Client calling retired process?

Okay, I've a deployment (called GetCodes) bundle that includes 5 processes.  4 of the processes make calls to the fifth (it's an abstraction layer of process business logic).  When I deploy this "GetCodes" bundle using the DeploymentService utility, I can see an incremented deployment (say, GetCodes-40) alongside previous iterations.

Occasionally, I'll have a client making soap calls to one of the processes under this logical bundle that will fail with the following error:

InvalidProcessException: Process is retired.

In the logs, it's clear that ODE is directing this client call to GetCodes-39 - though the client isn't explicitly attempting to call a specific version (is that even possible?).  Any clue why some clients periodically - erroneously - are directed by ODE to a retired process version?

Re: Client calling retired process?

Posted by Alexis Midon <mi...@intalio.com>.
Hi Chris,

No new executions can be started on a retired process, but running instances
can still finish their job. [1]

I'm not really familiar with this part of the code, but after looking at it,
it seems to me that the deployment of a new version is not atomic. Meaning
that a process could be flagged as retired while the creation of a new
instance is in progress, hence you're exception.

does it make sense regarding your scenario? is it possible that the process
gets retired while messages are coming in?

[1] further details here:
http://ode.apache.org/user-guide.html#UserGuide-Versioning