Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/09 20:57:59 UTC

Thoughts on how to increase contributions

Hi again^3

was about to begin to write this quarter's report and was thinking in ways
we could foster contributions, so I'd like to throw them here to see if any
of them looks ok-ish:

* open commitership to everyone. Other projects, like f.ex., Apache Commons
have decided to open commitership to all Apache committers by default.
Apache Subversion also has a slightly different take on this which more or
less goes as anybody asking for committership is made a committer with
his/her first commits being reviewed/mentored. On both cases, if you're a
new committer and wish to commit something (duh) you usually ask first for
review and/or open a PR

* use github as the primary repo. We're currently using ASF's git repo as
the canonical repo with a read-only copy at github, but infra offers from a
while back now the opposite possibility: work with github repo, which sends
the commits automatically to the ASF's repo, which gets then read-only. It
woukd treat Github as the canonical source (a copy on ASF's repo would
still be made), which allows the PRs and issues to be a bit more convenient
(there are still some things not supported due to the Github's coarse
permission structure). It would be required all committers to use Github's
2FA [0] so once a vote in the project is taken, we should file a ticket on
the INFRA JIRA so committers could run through the Gitbox syncing [1] to
matchup ASF IDs and Github IDs.

* Release at least every four months. Master is deliverable, and it's been
getting small fixes and updates every now and then so why not release every
(let's say) 4 months? They would be minor releases, but they still would be
releases, which would make JSPWiki a little better for end-users so, again,
why not? There could be exceptions if needed (i.e. master broken or no code
pushed since last release), but I think it would be a good thing(tm)

does any of them seem reasonable?

br,
juan pablo

[0] -
https://help.github.com/articles/providing-your-2fa-authentication-code/
[1] - https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/

Re: Thoughts on how to increase contributions

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
Yes, all of them

regards,
Harry

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

just to make these things start moving,

* regarding moving to github as primary repo: infra needs a link to a
formal [VOTE] thread, so I'll begin one in a minute

* regarding committership, the examples provided weren't too accurate
** commons grants commit right to every asf committer on sandbox components
(https://wiki.apache.org/commons/CommonsEtiquette)
** subversion has the concept of partial committers (
https://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/roles.html#partial-commit-access),
and also welcomes any asf committer to commit obvious fixes and patches, as
long as the patches have a +1 from a committer (
https://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/roles.html#guest-commiter
)
** not asf related, but Jenkins does something similar (
https://jenkins.io/project/governance/#lower-barrier-of-entry): "by not
requiring new contributors to “prove themselves” before they are admitted
to the committership. Instead, we assume they are good until proven
otherwise"
** my take on this would be something similar to the jenkins model, but I'd
really appreciate first commits as PRs, for review.. At least that's what I
would do, but not sure if we should enforce this or just see how it unfolds
(given that we don't have much activity).. I suppose we would probably also
need a formal vote for this, but I'd like to ask what do other people think
about this before starting the vote

* regarding release trains (aka release every four months), as we have
Board reports on months 01, 04, 07 and 10, how about releasing on 02, 05,
08 and 11 (starting next 02)?

br,
juan pablo

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.

Posted by Col Willis <co...@gmail.com>.
All

On 9 November 2017 at 20:57, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <
juanpablo.santos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again^3
>
> was about to begin to write this quarter's report and was thinking in ways
> we could foster contributions, so I'd like to throw them here to see if any
> of them looks ok-ish:
>
> * open commitership to everyone. Other projects, like f.ex., Apache Commons
> have decided to open commitership to all Apache committers by default.
> Apache Subversion also has a slightly different take on this which more or
> less goes as anybody asking for committership is made a committer with
> his/her first commits being reviewed/mentored. On both cases, if you're a
> new committer and wish to commit something (duh) you usually ask first for
> review and/or open a PR
>
> * use github as the primary repo. We're currently using ASF's git repo as
> the canonical repo with a read-only copy at github, but infra offers from a
> while back now the opposite possibility: work with github repo, which sends
> the commits automatically to the ASF's repo, which gets then read-only. It
> woukd treat Github as the canonical source (a copy on ASF's repo would
> still be made), which allows the PRs and issues to be a bit more convenient
> (there are still some things not supported due to the Github's coarse
> permission structure). It would be required all committers to use Github's
> 2FA [0] so once a vote in the project is taken, we should file a ticket on
> the INFRA JIRA so committers could run through the Gitbox syncing [1] to
> matchup ASF IDs and Github IDs.
>
> * Release at least every four months. Master is deliverable, and it's been
> getting small fixes and updates every now and then so why not release every
> (let's say) 4 months? They would be minor releases, but they still would be
> releases, which would make JSPWiki a little better for end-users so, again,
> why not? There could be exceptions if needed (i.e. master broken or no code
> pushed since last release), but I think it would be a good thing(tm)
>
> does any of them seem reasonable?
>

> br,
> juan pablo
>
> [0] -