Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ranjith <ra...@sedin.co.in> on 2010/08/20 13:49:02 UTC

How to convert WAR application into console application (Making Unicorn has console application)

Hi all,
     Unicorn just provide a URI and push the button. It will call a series
of validation services and report the results.I have already downloaded and
installed Unicorn. To Download the source code it is only available for
download from the Mercurial repository. To download it, use the command "hg
clone https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/unicorn"

To compile Unicorn, Apache Ant and Ivy are required. From Unicorn's
directory, run: "ant retrieve generate_observer generate_tasklist
default_conf war"

It works fine in apache-tomcat, what I want is how to make the unicorn as
console application. The input should passed through command line arguments
and output should displayed at console itself I don`t want to use any web
server to deploy it.

--
Cheers,
Ranjith Kumar.K

Re: How to convert WAR application into console application (Making Unicorn has console application)

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

 http://lmgtfy.com/?q=curl

Posted by Ranjith <ra...@sedin.co.in>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
David Smith wrote:
>> I tend to agree.  All this graphical stuff is making life miserable for most of us web
>> developers.  Back before Tim Berners-Lee came up with HTTP and HTML and made things
>> horribly complicated, one could still concentrate on the quintessential meaning of things,
>> rather than spending most of one's time with presentation matters, users clicking all over
>> the place, multiple threads, connection pools and whatnot.
>
> This is what the MVC pattern is all about.  The model get's implemented
> in it's own jar and has it's own development lifecycle to handle the
> backend business logic.  As long as it's designed not to have anything
> to do with the front-end, life is good whether it be in a console java
> app or a servlet container w/ an html front-end.

See, that's exactly what I am talking about.
And people can keep themselves busy with that type of jargon for days.
;-)

Re: How to convert WAR application into console application (Making Unicorn has console application)

Posted by David Smith <da...@cornell.edu>.
> I tend to agree.  All this graphical stuff is making life miserable for most of us web
> developers.  Back before Tim Berners-Lee came up with HTTP and HTML and made things
> horribly complicated, one could still concentrate on the quintessential meaning of things,
> rather than spending most of one's time with presentation matters, users clicking all over
> the place, multiple threads, connection pools and whatnot.

This is what the MVC pattern is all about.  The model get's implemented
in it's own jar and has it's own development lifecycle to handle the
backend business logic.  As long as it's designed not to have anything
to do with the front-end, life is good whether it be in a console java
app or a servlet container w/ an html front-end.

--David

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Ranjith <ra...@sedin.co.in>.
Thank all, whoever supported me I will try to solve this problem and I will
let you know.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Ranjith [mailto:ranjith.k@sedin.co.in]
> Subject: Re: How to convert WAR application into console application
> (Making Unicorn has console application)
>
> No not like that it runs very well in tomcat but i want to build a
> console version I`m not hater of tomcat I just want to build it.

Perhaps you missed the irony of the question...

In any event, how do you propose to get input into the application and display its responses?  Anything packaged as a webapp will be expecting to use HTTP/HTML; how do you propose to handle that in a console application?  (It certainly can be done, but it's going to be a lot of work, and since we're all volunteers here, no one here is going to provide much assistance for this non-Tomcat situation.)

 - Chuck

Re: How to convert WAR application into console application (Making Unicorn has console application)

Posted by Ranjith <ra...@sedin.co.in>.
Hi,
   No not like that it runs very well in tomcat but i want to build a
console version I`m not hater of tomcat I just want to build it.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Ranjith <ra...@sedin.co.in>.
Hi all,

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Pid <pi...@pidster.com> wrote:

> On 20/08/2010 12:49, Ranjith wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >      Unicorn just provide a URI and push the button. It will call a
> series
> > of validation services and report the results.I have already downloaded
> and
> > installed Unicorn. To Download the source code it is only available for
> > download from the Mercurial repository. To download it, use the command
> "hg
> > clone https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/unicorn"
> >
> > To compile Unicorn, Apache Ant and Ivy are required. From Unicorn's
> > directory, run: "ant retrieve generate_observer generate_tasklist
> > default_conf war"
> >
> > It works fine in apache-tomcat, what I want is how to make the unicorn as
> > console application. The input should passed through command line
> arguments
> > and output should displayed at console itself I don`t want to use any web
> > server to deploy it.
> >

> Are you having a problem with your Tomcat installation?

No Its working fine but i want to execute it on console that is my project.

Thanks PID,

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Sean McEligot <se...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Ranjith <ra...@sedin.co.in> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     Unicorn just provide a URI and push the button. It will call a series
> of validation services and report the results.I have already downloaded and
> installed Unicorn. To Download the source code it is only available for
> download from the Mercurial repository. To download it, use the command "hg
> clone https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/unicorn"
>
> To compile Unicorn, Apache Ant and Ivy are required. From Unicorn's
> directory, run: "ant retrieve generate_observer generate_tasklist
> default_conf war"
>
> It works fine in apache-tomcat, what I want is how to make the unicorn as
> console application. The input should passed through command line arguments
> and output should displayed at console itself I don`t want to use any web
> server to deploy it.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Ranjith Kumar.K
> http://ranjithtenz.wordpress.com

Are you just looking for a console html or css validator? try html tidy

http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

Re: How to convert WAR application into console application (Making Unicorn has console application)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: How to convert WAR application into console application (Making Unicorn has console application)

Posted by Chiaming Hsu <ca...@yahoo.com>.
You are posting to the wrong lists.  Turning a web application packaged in WAR
to a console application is not simply a build problem.  If the Unicorn
application itself does not support running in console mode, additional code is
required to make that happen.

You would have better luck asking on the Unicorn mailing list =>
 public-unicorn@w3.org

Cheers,
Chiaming Hsu

Posted by Sean McEligot <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vimil Saju <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Come on! ant does a lot of things, but asking ant to turn a webapp into a console app is asking for too much. You need to see how the  application is structured, If there is a separate business layer then jar all the business layer classes and then write a class with a main method that invokes these business layer functions