Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2013/11/01 13:32:05 UTC

[FALCON/JX] guava dependencies in compiler AND closure

Hi,

While trying to get my local development setup in order, I kept
getting errors when trying to run FalconJx on the examples. The
FalconJx tests run fine, so it's not the compiler perse... Some (ha!)
digging later, I stumbled on the following: both Falcon and the
Closure Compiler (CC) are dependent on the Guava library.

Now the problem: Falcon uses Guava r08. The latest CC seems to use a
much more recent version (the latest is 15). This causes problems when
doing a full build on a FalconJx project, which invokes the CC to
build the release JS. It turns out that more recent versions of Guava
deprecated several members of the MapMaker class, as well as hide some
others. This prevents Falcon from being compiled using a recent
version of Guava.

I don't think it is a good idea to keep relying on an old (2011)
version of Guava, thereby also locking us also to an old version of
the CC. The best way to fix this is to follow the documentation here
[1][2] and move Falcon to the most recent version of Guava. This does
require some refactoring - use CacheBuilder instead of MapMaker,
apparently - that is beyond my capability to reliably execute.

Any one of the compiler insiders brave or foolish enough to take this
one? Pretty please?!?

EdB

1: https://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/source/browse/guava/src/com/google/common/collect/MapMaker.java?r=b145ddc17680673605aa45a1deef15ba0c60a4bf
2: http://docs.guava-libraries.googlecode.com/git/javadoc/com/google/common/cache/CacheBuilder.html

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

RE: [FALCON/JX] guava dependencies in compiler AND closure

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
Oops, sorry I forgot that guava.jar gets downloaded rather than being under source control. I had replaced the copy in compiler/lib and didn't notice that git commit didn't commit it.

Thanks for fixing the build script, Erik.

- Gordon

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Thanks Gordon!

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
I just couldn't let it go, so I did some more digging. From the sept.
17 2012 release notes [1]: "- Updated library dependencies (like
Guava)". This means that a version of the compiler from before that
release shouldn't have any problems with the old Guava. I changed the
'compiler.jx/download.xml' with this workaround and a clean build now
compiles without errors or exceptions.

One issue: when this combo (Guava/CC) is used with a recent build of
the Closure Library, some warnings show they are not 100% compatible.

I don't like it that Falcon(Jx) now depends on outdated versions of
two key components. While that may be OK for now, since we're barely
at Alpha status, IMHO this is a blocker for a final release.

I've created a JIRA ticket to keep the issue alive. [1]

EdB

1: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33872

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.