Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2006/12/24 19:20:22 UTC

Dormant/retired codebases

Yoav Shapira wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Given the peculiar nature of log4php, I think there's a rather odd
> > notion available of considering it to retire from incubation into the
> > logging project as a retired subproject. Close down the lists, and
> > keep the svn as it is in logging/.

> Given that no one has said anything about this project either in
> incubator land or in logging service land, I'm leaning towards the
> above at the moment.

Actually ... what if we were to establish an area under incubator/, which we
need anyway for podlings that get retired, and allow whichever PMCs are
currently responsible for them to move all retired codebases to there?  If
people come along in the future and want to revive them, this is the right
place to rebuild community.  And having it here rather than, for example,
some "museum.apache.org" location provides a tacit statement that it is
available for rebirth if such a community were to come along.

	--- Noel

Re: Dormant/retired codebases

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 25 December 2006 02:20, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Actually ... what if we were to establish an area under incubator/, which
> we need anyway for podlings that get retired, and allow whichever PMCs are
> currently responsible for them to move all retired codebases to there?  If
> people come along in the future and want to revive them, this is the right
> place to rebuild community.  And having it here rather than, for example,
> some "museum.apache.org" location provides a tacit statement that it is
> available for rebirth if such a community were to come along.

Why move codebase?? Although it is a relative small effort, but is there any
point in it?

Update the status page and the "homepage" with the 'retired' status should be
enough, right? Perhaps with a link to some "HowTo Revive" page...

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Dormant/retired codebases

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Dec 27, 2006, at 10:28 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> phoenix.apache.org?\

Good one.

Craig

> Yoav Shapira wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 12/24/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>>> Actually ... what if we were to establish an area under incubator/,
>>> which we
>>> need anyway for podlings that get retired, and allow whichever
>>> PMCs are
>>> currently responsible for them to move all retired codebases to
>>> there?  If
>>> people come along in the future and want to revive them, this is the
>>> right
>>> place to rebuild community.  And having it here rather than, for
>>> example,
>>> some "museum.apache.org" location provides a tacit statement that
>>> it is
>>> available for rebirth if such a community were to come along.
>>
>> The "if people come along..." sentence is a very good point.  I like
>> this idea.
>>
>> Yoav

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com