Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by fbpc <Nd...@ix.netcom.com> on 2009/01/08 21:54:02 UTC

Whitelist not working - Ugh please help

I have whitelisted in my spam.whitelist.rules file:  whitelist_from
*@fbpc.com

But outgoing emails are still getting stopped as spam.  The whitelist seems
to be recognized in the headers, but the subject line still gets tagged with
a {SPAM} and the mail gets kicked back to me.

Here are the headers:

	 Subject:MIME-Version:From:Content-Type; b=TEWxVWJtzD4ynJSeSF0iLLNX
	eofvojo3BZyac5eAZRChucehuu7318KcuW7meBphdaiXiZyv4qQe6eoHYXvuXMi09G8
	3uFSpNT/Li1Sw0IlAh4Upc0ohAcbyIbebOGvHbXPiCsnIByMGt+uLTHv40/hb8pUct6
	Qb3M7EzqY8fsw=
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:40:49 -0500
To: emilykaplan41@yahoo.com
Subject: {SPM} Special Offer
From: FBPC Village Underground <co...@fbpc.com>

Re: Whitelist not working - Ugh please help

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, January 8, 2009 21:54, fbpc wrote:
> I have whitelisted in my spam.whitelist.rules file:  whitelist_from
> *@fbpc.com

newer use that whitelist_from anywhere !

even mailscanner can be fooled

> cached,
> 	score=-47.589, required 7, AWL 50.32, BAYES_44 -0.00,
> 	HTML_50_60 0.10, HTML_MESSAGE 0.10, PORN_4 1.89,
> 	USER_IN_WHITELIST -100.00)

ordb is long time DEAD, check rbl lists in you mailscanner

--
Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

Re: Whitelist not working - Ugh please help

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
fbpc wrote:
> I have whitelisted in my spam.whitelist.rules file:  whitelist_from
> *@fbpc.com

The above file is a MailScanner config file not a SpamAssassin config
file, it should NOT contain statements of that format. MailScanner's
whitelisting options are formatted differently (I don't use them but
they're something like "From: *@example.com").

whitelist_from is a SpamAssassin option, and belongs in a spamassassin
file (ie: local.cf), if you want to whitelist at the SpamAssassin level.

That said, it looks like you've got MailScanner configured to trust ORDB
as a 100% reliable indicator of spam, no matter what SA has to say.

Looking at the below, SA whitelisted it (USER_IN_WHITELIST matched, and
SA declared a strong negative score), but MailScanner decided it was
spam anyway because of ORDB.

Be wary of what you put in your spam.lists.conf. Any RBL run there will
over-ride all SpamAssassin configuration. Actually, MailScanner will
always over-ride anything SA says with what's in its own config files,
so that's a general thing.

Re: Whitelist not working - Ugh please help

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, fbpc wrote:

In light of all the other comments already given, I couldn't help to
notice the 'ORDB-RBL' in the MailScanner header. I'm assuming that is the
ordb.org RBL that's been dead for quite a while now. You should remove
the test from MailScanner if that is the case.

Re: Whitelist not working - Ugh please help

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
Please do not top-post.

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 17:48 -0800, fbpc wrote:
> Look, I'm not sending spam, I'm sending REPLY coupons to customers.  If you
> don't believe me, go to my website www.fbpc.com.  I believe the PORN is
> triggered because the full name of the bar is the Fat Black Pussycat, which
> is a neighborhood bar/nightclub in Greenwich Village.  The name has existed
> in the Village since 1959, and is taken from a W.C. Fields movie.

Look, you didn't get my most important point. Yes, I was pointing out
some spammy looking oddities -- but the real issue is...

That sender got an AWL of a whopping 50. Think about that. It means,
that while this particular mail scored low (read: not spam) without your
whitelist and AWL, the senders history average is *way* above that.
Something like an average of 100 or something. Thus AWL "corrected" the
score.

The real question for you is, *why* does that sender maintain an average
score higher than 50?

Again, any chance you sent a GTUBE test message using that sender?
Please re-read my previous post carefully. The point is, that if that
sender would *not* send messages scoring above 50 regularly, AWL would
not adjust the score that dramatically -- and there would be no need for
whitelisting in the first place. Think about it...

> I came to this forum just to get some help:  how do I whitelist myself
> effectively.

IMHO you do not need to whitelist. You need to investigate why the
average score for that sender is that high. Then fix that. Whitelisting
is just a bad work-around for the real issue.

(Also, you already do whitelist that sender in SA. It's mailscanner that
treated the message as spam, NOT SA.)

> If anyone can give me the simple syntax I'd be really appreciative, because
> althougth the headers say it's not being checked - the subject of the emails
> is still being changed.

Moreover, as has been stated a few times -- SA did *NOT* reject that
particular mail. It was your broken mailscanner conf.

> > BAYES_44 -- how old is that?

Read that as "what is your SA version" and answer the question, please.

  guenther

Re: Whitelist not working - Ugh please help

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Evan Platt wrote on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:01:50 -0800:

> If there's a few pages of quoted text, it shows ...snip.... and for
> some reason, removes odd things, like in this case, the Nabble tag. Any ideas?

It's a signature. I have configured my reader to grey them out, so they don't
distract, but I still see them if I want.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Eudora content concentrator (was: Whitelist not working - Ugh please help)

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 22:01 08-01-2009, Evan Platt wrote:
>Ok, unless someone here knows, I'll ask in an Eudora group... I
>turned Header mode to Terse. Only shows the From, To, and subject
>headers. But also trims the heck out of the message.
>
>If there's a few pages of quoted text, it shows ...snip.... and for
>some reason, removes odd things, like in this case, the Nabble tag. Any ideas?

The Content Concentrator replaces excessive text in the message body
with snip if you use Terse mode.  The footer is part of the excessive
text being hidden.  You can use Compact mode to reduce the
effect.  If you want to hide the headers only, you can use the
TabooHeaders setting.

Regards,
-sm

Re: Whitelist not working - Ugh please help

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 09:48 PM 1/8/2009, you wrote:

>The footer at the bottom of the original message is a hint as to why
>your advice won't be understood. :-)
>
>Regards,
>-sm

AARGH!

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Fri, January 9, 2009 03:15, fbpc wrote:
> Yes it is my server.  My SPF and I have Domain Keys as well.  Not
> sure why that's relevant.

if you dont know that then remove them

> I have followed the instructions on the SpamAssasin website, but
> although the headers show that the whitelist is recognized,

and the recipients agre not to say why mails from you are blocked ?

> the program is still changing the subjects of my emails.

what program ?

> I supose I could go into the config and change the words "SPAM" and
> "DISARM" to blank spaces, but then I wouldn't have them when they
> really did block SPAM.

what ?

> The whitelist is needed because my emails to customers are being
> falsely identified as spam.

i bet that /16 range is NOT your servers ips

> I can send you a copy of the email itself if you want
> to see it.

its ok with me if it will not be a perment sending of mails to me

Posted by fbpc <Nd...@ix.netcom.com>.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 05:48 PM 1/8/2009, you wrote:

>Look, I'm not sending spam, I'm sending REPLY coupons to customers.  If you
>don't believe me, go to my website www.fbpc.com.  I believe the PORN is
>triggered because the full name of the bar is the Fat Black Pussycat, which
>is a neighborhood bar/nightclub in Greenwich Village.  The name has existed
>in the Village since 1959, and is taken from a W.C. Fields movie.
>
>I came to this forum just to get some help:  how do I whitelist myself
>effectively.

Your best bet, as I mentioned, is to not scan outgoing mail. You
can't control what OTHER people have running on their system

>If anyone can give me the simple syntax I'd be really appreciative, because
>althougth the headers say it's not being checked - the subject of the emails
>is still being changed.

This isn't a SpamAssassin issue - it's a mailscanner issue. You need
to ask on a mailscanner list.

Re: Whitelist not working - Ugh please help

Posted by fbpc <Nd...@ix.netcom.com>.

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

Posted by mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net>.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, January 8, 2009 21:59, Evan Platt wrote:

> 1. Why are you checking outgoing mail?

if he did not, maybe the sender ip will be blacklisted, much better

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 12:54 PM 1/8/2009, you wrote:

>I have whitelisted in my spam.whitelist.rules file:  whitelist_from
>*@fbpc.com
>
>But outgoing emails are still getting stopped as spam.  The whitelist seems
>to be recognized in the headers, but the subject line still gets tagged with
>a {SPAM} and the mail gets kicked back to me.

1. Why are you checking outgoing mail?

2. No, it isn't. It's being marked as {SPM}, but look at the score.
It's NEGATIVE. And it's being marked by mailscanner. You need to look
at your mailscanner config:

That's a negative 47.