Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Grobe, Gary" <Ga...@bmc.com> on 2001/02/12 16:11:20 UTC

Tomcat Servlets & IIS ASP ?

I work w/ JSP but have no experience with ASP. I'd like to know how IIS
processes ASP and if these same request/responses can also be sent to
TOMCAT?

What are other people doing for tomcat sites that use ASP?

Re: Tomcat Servlets & IIS ASP ?

Posted by Rob Tanner <rt...@cheshire.onlinemac.com>.
ASP is a tagging system integral to IIS.  The language between the tags
is Microsoft's proprietary VBScript (and I think you can also use
VBasic, another Microsoft proprietary language).  It also uses COM
objects and other of Microsoft's proprietary concoction.  Nothing about
ASP is Java.

I don't use IIS, but I understand Tomcat can be installed and used with
IIS, and I presume JSP and ASP will work together without any conflict.
But since ASP pages aren't coded in Java, to have Tomact handle them,
you'd need to write a servlet that understands ASP tags and VBScript.
To get an idea of what that entails, look at iASP, a commercial product
of Halcyon.  It is an ASP server written in Java that understands the
ASP language.  Described simply, it's a monster servlet (the reality is
a tad more complex).  iASP can be run using any compliant servlet
engine, including Tomcat.  You wouldn't need iASP on IIS since you've
already got ASP, but looking at iASP does give you an idea of what's
involved.

-- Rob

--On Monday, February 12, 2001 09:11:20 AM -0600 "Grobe, Gary"
<Ga...@bmc.com> wrote:

> I work w/ JSP but have no experience with ASP. I'd like to know how
> IIS processes ASP and if these same request/responses can also be
> sent to TOMCAT?
>
> What are other people doing for tomcat sites that use ASP?

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  rtanner@cheshire.onlinemac.com