Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Saisai Shao <sa...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/16 10:09:07 UTC

Are we going to use Apache JIRA instead of Github issues

Hi Team,

Seems Iceberg project uses Github issues instead of JIRA. IMHO JIRA is more
powerful and easy to manage, most of the Apache projects use JIRA to track
everything, any plan to move to JIRA or we stick on using Github issues?

Thanks
Saisai

Re: Are we going to use Apache JIRA instead of Github issues

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:33 AM Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.invalid> wrote:

> A big concern I have about using JIRA is that I think it is a barrier to participation. If you want to open an issue, you need to have a JIRA account and remember the credentials; in contrast most of our developer audience is perpetually signed into Github. Once you've logged in to JIRA, then there are several required fields with inconsistent use across projects. One of the main reasons I see for using Github is that it makes it easier to participate.

I guess it's a question of what kind of people do you want involved in
your project. I've found that the ASF JIRA barrier is pretty effective
at filtering out unserious contributors. GitHub has a serious "peanut
gallery" problem, but you'll get to find out whether this affects
Iceberg or not =)

> I'd like to try to continue with Github issues. Some of JIRA's strengths have analogs in Github that I think are good alternatives. We've been using milestones to stay organized, for example.
>
> We should open an INFRA issue to fix the problem that non-committers can't label issues or request reviews. I think that's an oversight in the integration.

This is a fundamental issue with GitHub -- issue editing and repo push
permission is coupled. So I don't think this can be fixed.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: Are we going to use Apache JIRA instead of Github issues

Posted by Edgar Rodriguez <ed...@airbnb.com.INVALID>.

--
Edgar Rodriguez

Re: Are we going to use Apache JIRA instead of Github issues

Posted by Saisai Shao <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--