Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Frank Zhou <fc...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/29 08:24:21 UTC

Question about AXIS and tomcat

Hi, All,

I have a general question about tomcat and AXIS. Is
there any relation or execlusion between the two? I am
currently starting to work on a web service
application which the web server is hosted on TOMCAT
and the client is using AXIS to parse WSDL and making
SOAP/http calls et cetera. My web service application
basically intends to expose some functionalities of
another application through web serivce (so there is a
server component), it also try to use thrid party web
services to integrate with my other applications's
functionality (so there is a client component). The
server side is really simple from architectural point
of view, it basically just a servlet respoding to
SOAP/http calls (like publish WSDL and handling
operations as defined in the generated WSDL).

Now I am trying to expand and enhance the web service
application, but as a web service novice, I would like
to seek some expert advices here.

(1) Can I use AXIS on the server side? can AXIS
replace the servlet?

(2) On the client side, currently I am just able to
make SOAP/http calls. I know AXIS2 offers lots of new
features. Which of those are more important than
others from web service perspective? I am trying to
enhance my web service client so that I can better
consume third party web services like Google adwords
et cetera.

(3) Is there such a thing called platform web service?
What are the essential features of it? Maybe I am
asking wrong question here, but I am trying to
understand what I can do to enhance my server side
compoent, which currently is just a servlet
structually.

Well, enough for now, any feedback is really
appreciated.

Thanks much in advance.

Frank

Re: Question about AXIS and tomcat

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Frank,

Axis and Axis2 are web service frameworks. They make it easier for you
to implement web service clients and services. Axis supports web
services that use the SOAP protocol. Axis2 supports SOAP as well as
"plain old XML" (POX) over HTTP services.

Both Axis and Axis2 server-side frameworks are implemented as
servlets. They run on Tomcat or some other servlet engine. (They both
also support a stand-alone configuration, but it's not recommended for
production systems.)

>From a server-side perspective, for in-bound messages, they receive
HTTP requests, process the XML message, and dispatch the request by
invoking the appropriate service method. The "process the XML message"
step includes processing message headers and optionally translating
the XML body into Java objects. (A configuration file tells the
framework how to process the message.) For out-bound messages, the
framework takes the return value, packages it back into an XML
message, adds any required headers, and returns the message to the
caller.

>From a client-side perspective, for each request, it packages the
request into an XML message, adds any required headers, sends the
message to the appropriate server, and waits for a response. On
response, it processes the XML message and returns the return value to
the application.

Hope this helps.

Anne

On 12/29/06, Frank Zhou <fc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> I have a general question about tomcat and AXIS. Is
> there any relation or execlusion between the two? I am
> currently starting to work on a web service
> application which the web server is hosted on TOMCAT
> and the client is using AXIS to parse WSDL and making
> SOAP/http calls et cetera. My web service application
> basically intends to expose some functionalities of
> another application through web serivce (so there is a
> server component), it also try to use thrid party web
> services to integrate with my other applications's
> functionality (so there is a client component). The
> server side is really simple from architectural point
> of view, it basically just a servlet respoding to
> SOAP/http calls (like publish WSDL and handling
> operations as defined in the generated WSDL).
>
> Now I am trying to expand and enhance the web service
> application, but as a web service novice, I would like
> to seek some expert advices here.
>
> (1) Can I use AXIS on the server side? can AXIS
> replace the servlet?
>
> (2) On the client side, currently I am just able to
> make SOAP/http calls. I know AXIS2 offers lots of new
> features. Which of those are more important than
> others from web service perspective? I am trying to
> enhance my web service client so that I can better
> consume third party web services like Google adwords
> et cetera.
>
> (3) Is there such a thing called platform web service?
> What are the essential features of it? Maybe I am
> asking wrong question here, but I am trying to
> understand what I can do to enhance my server side
> compoent, which currently is just a servlet
> structually.
>
> Well, enough for now, any feedback is really
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks much in advance.
>
> Frank

Re: Question about AXIS and tomcat

Posted by su...@wso2.com.
Hi Frank;
Have you gone through the Axis2 User Guide? I think it would give you more
insight into Axis2. Please find some of my humble thoughts bellow.

> Hi, All,
>
> I have a general question about tomcat and AXIS. Is
> there any relation or execlusion between the two?

Not that I know of. You can deploy the axis2.war on any other servlet
container (eg.Geronimo) & work as you would work on Tomcat. But there can
be some version compatibility issues.But it works with geronimo for sure.

> I am currently starting to work on a web service
> application which the web server is hosted on TOMCAT
> and the client is using AXIS to parse WSDL and making
> SOAP/http calls et cetera. My web service application
> basically intends to expose some functionalities of
> another application through web serivce (so there is a
> server component), it also try to use thrid party web
> services to integrate with my other applications's
> functionality (so there is a client component).
> The server side is really simple from architectural point
> of view, it basically just a servlet respoding to
> SOAP/http calls (like publish WSDL and handling
> operations as defined in the generated WSDL).
>
> Now I am trying to expand and enhance the web service
> application, but as a web service novice, I would like
> to seek some expert advices here.
>
> (1) Can I use AXIS on the server side? can AXIS
> replace the servlet?

Yes you can. Are you using this servlet to anything other than serving
SOAP calls?

> (2) On the client side, currently I am just able to
> make SOAP/http calls. I know AXIS2 offers lots of new
> features. Which of those are more important than
> others from web service perspective? I am trying to
> enhance my web service client so that I can better
> consume third party web services like Google adwords
> et cetera.

Generate stubs for these web services (eg.Google adwords) using Axis2
wsdl2java tool & you can access these services through those stubs.