Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Reis, Tom" <re...@cdnet.cod.edu> on 2003/06/16 23:15:16 UTC

Screen refresh

	I am running Tomcat v4.03 which appears to logout a connection after
20 minutes of no activity. This seems to cause a problem for some people. Is
there a way to do a automatic Refresh after 20 minutes or a way to redirect
to error to inform the user that the Browser needs to be refreshed. Thanks.

Re: Screen refresh

Posted by Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>.
On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 16:30, Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:18, Mike Curwen wrote:
> > Use of META refresh tags ?
> > <HTML>
> > <HEAD>
> > <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh"
> > content="N;URL=http://www.yoursite.com/login_expired">
> > </HEAD>
>
> Either that or update the session-timeout in your web.xml to a more acceptable
> value

For security reasons, you may want a user to time out in a short time.
If they leave a window open to a bank statememnt, say, you want the time
out to invalidate the session so that another person cannot come back
and continue the session without authentication. For this, the web.xml
change is the only way to go. Refreshes will mean never ending sessions.

Of course, you may be perfectly happy with never ending sessions.

Ben Ricker
Wellinx.com

Re: Screen refresh

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
Helps if I RTFP doesn't it?

Your solution is refreshing to a separate page so you wouldn't have duplicate
form submission issues, but still the users might get annoyed if they are in
the middle of a form, step away from their desk for whatever reason and then
come back to find they have lost their work they probably still won't be very
happy.

It depends upon what you want to achieve as to what solution you choose. :)

--
Jason Bainbridge
http://jblinux.org

RE: Screen refresh

Posted by Mike Curwen <mi...@gb-im.com>.

Re: Screen refresh

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:18, Mike Curwen wrote:
> Use of META refresh tags ?
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh"
> content="N;URL=http://www.yoursite.com/login_expired">
> </HEAD>

Either that or update the session-timeout in your web.xml to a more acceptable
value or use an invisible frame (well as close to invisible as you can get
anyway) that does the refreshing and have the main visible frame left as is.

RE: Screen refresh

Posted by Mike Curwen <mi...@gb-im.com>.
Use of META refresh tags ?
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh"
content="N;URL=http://www.yoursite.com/login_expired">
</HEAD>

Where 'N' is the number of seconds to wait before refreshing.  CNN.com
uses this on their main page.