Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> on 2011/09/09 10:06:34 UTC

[Discuss] Chasing the Heisenbug with Buildbots

Hey folks,

As some of you might have noticed, there are often plagued with
buildbot failures. In the recent past we've been experiencing a
Heisenbug with the -debug build.
It would fail *sometimes* - force a rebuild and it would work. Maybe.

In order to corner this, I've been contemplating either to

* change all of current buildbots to --enable-debug
* ask Infra to add -debug buildbots for all platforms we build on

The reasoning with the latter is that the nature of our builds and
the nature of the regression tests seems to require both views.

Please share your opinions on how to proceed with this.

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org
GPG: 571B 8B8A FC97 266D BDA3  EF6F 43AD 80A4 5779 3257

Re: [Discuss] Chasing the Heisenbug with Buildbots

Posted by "ming.zym@gmail.com" <mi...@gmail.com>.
in my experience with --enable-debug, that is a supper of the default
config, and it should rise more issues. as the build box just do the
basic building and regression test, get it a little strict is a good
idea.

在 2011-09-09五的 08:06 +0000,Igor Galić写道:

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.
> Hey folks,
>
> As some of you might have noticed, there are often plagued with
> buildbot failures. In the recent past we've been experiencing a
> Heisenbug with the -debug build.
> It would fail *sometimes* - force a rebuild and it would work. Maybe.
>
> In order to corner this, I've been contemplating either to
>
> * change all of current buildbots to --enable-debug
> * ask Infra to add -debug buildbots for all platforms we build on
>
> The reasoning with the latter is that the nature of our builds and
> the nature of the regression tests seems to require both views.
>

> Please share your opinions on how to proceed with this.

Theo says:

<@postwait> jMCg: I don't think we should be doing all -debug builds
<@postwait> ideally, we should be doing both on each platform
<@postwait> sans that, some healthy 50/50 split will do