Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Pradeep Kamath <pr...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2010/05/24 22:37:07 UTC

metastore set up with Oracle backend?

Hi,

  Can hive metastore be setup with Oracle as backend without any code
changes? Has anyone tried this? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pradeep

RE: metastore set up with Oracle backend?

Posted by Pradeep Kamath <pr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Thanks for the information Carl - will give it a shot.

________________________________

Posted by John Sichi <js...@facebook.com>.
I don't know how to do that.  If CLOB gets mapped correctly for MySQL and Derby, we could just change the default so it would be Oracle-compatible.  Otherwise, if we can't find some other place to override the mapping, maybe we could templatize the .jdo file, although I'm not sure how that would work since it gets burned into a .jar.

Another option is to precreate your schema in Oracle and then tell JDO not to try to create/update it automatically.

JVS

On Jun 4, 2010, at 1:58 PM, Pradeep Kamath wrote:

Thanks for the pointer John! - I got it working by editing metastore/src/model/package.jdo to make the following change:

       <field name="viewOriginalText">
-        <column name="VIEW_ORIGINAL_TEXT" jdbc-type="LONGVARCHAR"/>
+        <column name="VIEW_ORIGINAL_TEXT" jdbc-type="CLOB"/>
       </field>
       <field name="viewExpandedText">
-        <column name="VIEW_EXPANDED_TEXT" jdbc-type="LONGVARCHAR"/>
+        <column name="VIEW_EXPANDED_TEXT" jdbc-type="CLOB"/>
       </field>

I then rebuilt hive and used the resulting build and it worked - is there a way to achieve the same without changing metastore/src/model/package.jdo and rebuilding?

Thanks,
Pradeep

John Sichi wrote:

Hmm, this is because MTable now has two LONGVARCHAR fields (viewOriginalText and viewExpandedText).  Can you find a way to get the Oracle driver or JDO to map these to CLOB instead of LONG VARCHAR?  Oracle allows multiple CLOB fields on the same table, but only one LONG VARCHAR (legacy crud).

JVS

Posted by Pradeep Kamath <pr...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by John Sichi <js...@facebook.com>.

Posted by Pradeep Kamath <pr...@yahoo-inc.com>.