Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us> on 2004/02/12 17:46:50 UTC

jsp deployment

The webapp I am writing has until today used html pages, JavaScript, and
servlets, but no jsp files.

Now I want to add one, so I placed the file open.jsp in the webapp's
root directory (where the html files are).  I thought that's all I
needed to do, but Tomcat chokes when the jsp is requested.  I get a 404
error, "the requested resoruce is not available."

What do I need to configure to get Tomcat to serve the jsp?

My setup is:  Apache 1.3.27 -> Tomcat 4.1.27 via mod_jk, on a Linux
box.  All Tomcat examples (jsps and servlets) work fine, my webapp
servlets work fine.   Apache config includes this statement:  JkMount
/mywebapp/* .jsp ajp13 (and anyway the error comes from Tomcat, so I
know I'm getting through Apache).

I have not made any jsp-related changes to my webapp's web.xml file,
which is where I define the servlets.

All the docs I have on Tomcat agree with this statement in the O'Reilly
book "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide":

"JSPs can be installed anywhere in a web application....JSPs can be
copied to the root of your web application or placed in any subdirectory
other than WEB-INF."

So here's my structure:

$TOMCAT_HOME
....'---webapps
............'---mywebapp
...................'---index.html
...................'---open.jsp

index.html hands off to open.jsp by way of this JasvaScript statement:

document.location="open.jsp"

And Tomcat serves up the 404 error.

What to do?

Thanks.

Jerry

RE: jsp deployment

Posted by Mike Curwen <mi...@gb-im.com>.
You have a space in your JKMount?
/mywebapp/* .jsp ajp13
should be:
/mywebapp/*.jsp ajp13

Also, where does JAVA_HOME point to?  If it's only a JRE, your JSP's
won't compile.  The example ones may work if they were pre-compiled
(though I'm pretty sure they didn't start doing that until 5.0.x).

Also, try this javascript instead (perhaps it's a browser issue)

window.location.replace("http://www.mydomain.com/mywebapp/open.jsp");

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Dwayne Ghant <dg...@temple.edu>.
Does anyone know where I can download mod_jk 1.2.5?

Jakarta doesn't seem to have it in there site anymore , unless I missed
it???

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Jerry,

Hang on for a minute. Have you tried to access this directly from the url?
 http://localhost:8080/mywebapp/open.jsp
I missed in your original post that you were using javascript to access it.

Doug

Posted by Werner van Mook <we...@connecties.com>.
I had a similar problem with my jsp files.

I included as the toplines in my jsp files :

<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" language="java"
import="java.sql.*" errorPage="" %>
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
These lines are created by dreamweaver I just copied them from a
working jsp  file to the not working jsp file.

This seemed to solve my problems.

I don't know why it solved it.
To my knowledge every html file becomes a jsp file when you change the
extension.

Werner

On Feb 13, 2004, at 5:13 PM, BAO RuiXian wrote:

> Jerry Ford wrote:
>
>> Good suggestions, but, no, didn't work.
>> There are no config issues preventing Tomcat from serving files from
>> my webapp---html and servlets all work.  And I know Tomcat is serving
>> jsp files correctly; Tomcat's default examples work.
>
> Have you tried run your jsp file directly from Tomcat instead of via
> Apache? How about you copy one of the jsp files from the example jsp
> files to this directory to see it still works? I think your problem is
> just very trivial, somewhere wrong.
>
> Best
>
> Bao
>

>> Tomcat simply will not serve my .jsp file regardless of filetype
>> (tried it as .txt).  Permissions and file ownership are identical to
>> the permissions of the Tomcat example .jsp files, which do work.
>> I restart Tomcat everytime I make a change.
>> Still get the 404 when I call the jsp, even though the html files in
>> the same directory work fine, as do the servlets in the same webapp
>> space.
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>> Parsons Technical Services wrote:
>>
>>> Jerry,
>>>
>>> Just for a test, change the file name to end with .txt and see if
>>> the page
>>> is displayed.
>>>
>>> If it still fails. I would double check the permissions/ownership on
>>> that
>>> file.
>>>
>>> If it works, then try a restart. After a restart if it still fails,
>>> check
>>> your configs
>>> for an entry that might be blocking or redirecting the request.
>>>
>>> Just a novice throwing out ideas.
>>>
>>> Doug Parsons
>>> www.parsonstechnical.com
>>>

>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Ford"
>>> <jf...@katzenjammer.us>

Werner van Mook
Java Lead Developer / Trainer
Connecties Voor Internet

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ru...@pp.inet.fi>.

Jerry Ford wrote:

> Hmmm...when I go to http://localhost/mywebapp, it works fine.
> When I bypass Apache and go to http://localhost:8080, I get Tomcat's
> home page, and http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp, I get the Tomcat
> examples.
> But when I go to http://localhost:8080/mywebapp, I get 404, resource
> not available.

So, actually it is not the problem of jsp, rather the configuartion of
of your application context. Do you have a corresponding "Context" block
to your application like the examples in your server.xml file in the
directory "config"?

Best

Bao

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.
No, root context is defined in a single, self-closing tag:  <context...  />

It's unchanged from Tomcat's default server.xml.

But...on second look, there is an extra closing tag after Ebook's
context in this cut-and-paste (I cut and paste in multiple steps;
couldn't get the whole thing in one vi window):

</context>
</context>

But the active server.xml does not have two of  them, only one.

Jerry

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Jerry,

Try renaming EBook in the context and rename the directory to match.

OR

Remove the EBook app and then rename test to EBook.

Wonder if there is a typo somewhere.. EBook..Ebook..EBooK..etc.
It's a real bite what one letter can do.

Doug

Posted by David Grant <da...@busydata.com>.
Hi All,

I am having a problem importing a package into my jsp file. The package is
called mytest.jar

The following is my jsp file

-----------------
<%@ page
import = "java.io.*"
import = "java.lang.*"
import = "java.util.*"
import = "mytest.*"
%>

<%

	Mytest mytest = new mytest("123123", "javatest", "test");

-----------------

I can't get setting the Mytest instance. I get an error complaining about it
cannot compile because:  "package mytest does not exist"

I have put the mytest.jar file in my WEB-INF/lib directory. I have also set
the CLASSPATH to include
the mytest.jar file specifically.

Any ideas?

If this is the incorrect list, can someone point me to the correct list to
post my query

Thanks

Emma Grant
Database and Website Developer

Ph: 3252 1205
Email: emmagrant@busydata.com

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.
Well, that's odd....

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.

Re: jsp deployment-- Clarification of Invoker

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ru...@pp.inet.fi>.
Unable to check all the mails. But, glad to hear you and Doug together
solved your problem.

Cheers

Bao

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Jerry,

This is one of the main reasons I'm on this list. It peaks my curiosity to
learn about the how's and whys. Currently I only have one machine running
for development but that can change at any time and its little things like
this that help prepare me. Also another caveat of the invoker, if you app
requires it there is a good chance that it won't work on non-tomcat systems
(like who would even run anything but) as so I read.

I have a theory and maybe someone can poke holes in it. If your pages have
links to servlets then TC will choke on the page because it can't find the
servlet and thus the page won't compile. If you have debugging turned up you
will see it in your logs, I think. For TC looks at the mapping to find the
servlet unless you have used the full URL or the invoker which mimics a
classpath and says you can find any servlet you are looking for in
...../servlet/ directory.

As for needing to define them first, sorry for not mentioning it. Just for
reference you must group the definitions first and then all the mapping. The
is a certain order to the web.xml that must be followed.

Glad to be of help.

Doug Parsons
www.parsonstechnical.com

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.
Well, that was certainly fun :)

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.

Jerry Ford wrote:

> I don't fully understand the invoker servlet myself, but here's what I
> think I know:
>
> The invoker mapping only applies to servlets, not html or jsps, and the
> servlets are working (at least through Apache).

True. But if you have any links in the html or jsp page, it can prevent them
from being displayed, at least this was true in my case.

>If the invoker mapping
> specifies /servlets/* then "servlets" must be included in the URL.  By
> taking it out of the invoker mapping, it does not need to be included in
> the URL.  So, http://localhost/servlets/do_something is required if the
> mapping is as you say it should be, and http://localhost/do_something is
> the URL if the mapping is as I have it.

My current understanding is that without the invoker you have to use the
full path including the package designation. Unless.. See below.

With the invoker it will run ANY servlet in you app by entering the desired
or undesired URL. IE it is a security issue. http://localhost/servlets/?
when a value matching any of your servlets is entered it is run.

As I stated earlier I wastn't hitting any servlets directly from the URL so
I cannot attest to if this will work as you have it. All I know at this
point is that my setup would not work this way /* but  did with /servlet/*.

But you are correct that you must have servlet in the URL in order for it to
match the pattern with it my way.

Now for the kicker. As stated above, the invoker is considered a security
risk and should not be used. Instead you should define mapping for your
servlets. Once this is done you can access only servlets that you want to be
available from the outside and protect the ones you don't. And on top of
that you can use any name you wish rather then the name of the servlet.

>From you web.xml you have:
 <servlet>
      <servlet-name>
         set_config
      </servlet-name>
      <servlet-class>
         catseye.ebook.set_config
      </servlet-class>
   </servlet>

This can be mapped by:
<servlet-mapping>

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.

> I don't fully understand the invoker servlet myself, but here's what I
> think I know:

Nor do I. I am just going by what I have encountered and how I fixed it.

> The invoker mapping only applies to servlets, not html or jsps, and the
> servlets are working (at least through Apache). If the invoker mapping
> specifies /servlets/* then "servlets" must be included in the URL.  By
> taking it out of the invoker mapping, it does not need to be included in
> the URL.  So, http://localhost/servlets/do_something is required if the
> mapping is as you say it should be, and http://localhost/do_something is
> the URL if the mapping is as I have it.
>
> Is that not correct?

As for the URL:
For .jsp and html I do a http://localhost/golf/index.html and it works fine.
Where golf is the context path.
For servlets it may be true. I am not hitting any servlets directly.

As for applying to .jsp or html:
In my case the application will not serve up .jsp or html unless it is
/servlet/*.
Which may mean that I have some errors elsewhere.

Doug

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net>.
Hi Jerry,

You *are* right in saying that there is no additional configuration
necessary for Tomcat to serve JSP files. The way I see it, there are
several possibilities:

1. If you say that you can access your web application servlets, that
means that your web application has been deployed correctly. This means
that the 404 error is not related to that reason (if indeed your
servlets can be accessed)

2. If you changed the filename and filename extension (i.e. changed it
from open.jsp tp open.txt or open.html), and you still cannot even find
the page, 2 possibilities come to my mind :

- your URL is wrong : that is, if your web application is called EBook
and the servlets are accessed using the URL
http://localhost/EBook/servlet/someservlet, then your JSP file can only
be accessed using the URL http://localhost/EBook/open.jsp. Ok, say you
don't want to go through Apache, then you type
http://localhost:8080/EBook/open.jsp. Notice that in both cases, you
don't use the invoker (i.e. no "servlet" in the URL). Using the invoker
is wrong for JSPs.

- you mistyped the filename. This is not so uncommon as you might think.
The problem is that, depending on your browser, the browser may cache
the results. For example, if you are using Mozilla, if you get a 404
error once and re-type the URL again, you will always get a 404 error,
until you clear your cache! Make sure you clear your cache before you
try accessing the page again.

3. You must be very tired and frustrated. Try taking a long break, go
for a run or something. Then come back to try again. You may even get
the whole thing working automagically !

I have written a step by step on deploying web applications at
http://cymulacrum.net/tomcat_toc.html because I thought this was the
weakest part of the Tomcat documentation. Try working through my toy
example there and see if it works.

Regards,
pascal chong

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Sorry had a typo:

resource not found

should be:

resource not available

Thinking one thing typing another.

Doug

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ru...@pp.inet.fi>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ru...@pp.inet.fi>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.

RE: jsp deployment

RE: jsp deployment

Posted by Bill Haake <ha...@logicalimages.com>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Thomas Tang <Th...@thestreet.com>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ru...@pp.inet.fi>.

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.
Yes, yes, and yes...JDK 1.4, $JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0,
and Tomcat is able to compile the example jsps that come in the
webserver package.

Jerry

Re: jsp deployment

Posted by David Ramsey <da...@yahoo.com>.