Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/22 14:14:13 UTC

What to do with Public Domain code?

I'm faced with the following in some JavaScript.

// This code was written by Tyler Akins and has been placed in the
// public domain.  It would be nice if you left this header intact.

Re: What to do with Public Domain code?

Posted by Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.
> I'm faced with the following in some JavaScript.
>
> // This code was written by Tyler Akins and has been placed in the
> // public domain.  It would be nice if you left this header intact.

Ah nice :)  Once the code is in the public domain it usually means
that the author has disclaimed copyright and that you are free to
use the code whatsoever way you wish. The piece about the header
remaining intact is a suggestion rather than a request, I would
say.

Still, I guess courtesy would suggest that it would be a good thing
to attribute the author in the code.

As usual, IANAL.

  --oh

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

Re: What to do with Public Domain code?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
This is easy.   You need to do two things:

1) create a file called
rt/javascriptsrc/main/appended-resources/META-INF/NOTICE

That just contains the information about that file.

2) in distribution, edit:
distribution/src/main/appended-resources/META-INF/NOTICE
to contain the same info.

That should be it.

We probably should add a page to the developer wiki about "how to add
third party things" to cover this.  Things pulled in from maven are easy
as you usually don't need to do anything.   Stuff added directly to the
source tree can be tricky.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp