Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> on 2001/07/24 21:01:19 UTC

platform default character set and encoding

"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> writes:

> dlr@apache.org wrote:
> >
> > dlr         01/07/23 18:25:51
> >
> >   Modified:    src/java/org/apache/turbine/services/velocity
> >                         TurbineVelocityService.java
> >   Log:
> >   The default character set is now a constant class member (rather than
> >   an instance variable like it used to be).
> >

> I have been mulling this over in Velocity-land : shouldn't this be the
> platforms default encoding?

Yes, we should certainly default to the platform's default encoding.
However, the comment for that variable was incorrect -- ISO-8859-1 is
a character set, not an encoding.  I've corrected that comment, and
added a tidbit about the difference between character sets and
encodings (which I wasn't too clear about, but am a bit more so now
that I've looked into it).

Now, what does Java supply defaults for: character set, encoding, or
both?

Dan