Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Nicolas Bouillon <ni...@bouillon.net> on 2019/06/18 20:45:52 UTC

Jetbrains considers to deprecate Tapestry plugin in IntelliJ 2019.3

Hi,

Not sure if many of you are using the Tapestry plugins of IntellJ Ultimate.

I do and it's very handy to navigate fastly between components and for code
completion in templates.

https://blog.jetbrains.com/idea/2019/06/plugin-deprecations-in-intellij-idea-v2019-2/

Tapestry is my favorite framework, and I haven't found any replacement with
the killing features such as Live Class Reloading (natively) and excellent
error reporting.

Keep up the good work.

Nicolas.

RE: Jetbrains considers to deprecate Tapestry plugin in IntelliJ 2019.3

Posted by Chris Lail <ch...@extensiatech.com>.
If you visit the link, there is a contact form.  I sent a contact urging the continued support of the plugin.

I use the plugin. That’s some sad news :(

Best,
Rafael

Posted by Rafael Bugajewski <ra...@juicycocktail.com>.

Posted by JumpStart <ge...@gmail.com>.
lol. Same here.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Lance, you made my day.

--
Massimo Lusetti

Re: Jetbrains considers to deprecate Tapestry plugin in IntelliJ 2019.3

Posted by Numa Schmeder <nu...@dfacto.ch>.
Technologies such as Tapestry are not more deprecated than Wicket neither worst. Wicked has its benefits, but also quite a lot of weakness. Wicket is very verbose and annoying to refactor, I can’t see any advantage of Wicket over Tapestry.
Regarding new technologies, there are plenty of new technologies, new doesn’t mean good :) I enjoy ajax application, micros service architecture, but for data entry application they don’t ad any value.
Ajax application, whatever framework, you use are a nightmare to debug who you have 100K+ lines of code… javascript is just another scripting language used by novice programmer that thinks they are kings of the world because they manage to write 3 lines of code. Every framework has its use cases, Tapestry is good at rapid development and prototyping application. It mixes well with ajax frameworks. Vaadin is also cool :)
Just don’t use it if you don’t like it…

Posted by Charles Roth <cr...@thedance.net>.
Emmanuel:

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
13 years dude.... 13 years

Posted by Svein-Erik Løken <SE...@brav.com>.
After reading posts after posts that Tapestry is outdated - how is it outdated?

The last year I have used ReactJS/JSX/TypeScript/es2015/node, SCCS in a multimodule setup in Tapestry. I am using Tapestry Resteasy or just Tapestry Ajax() or Zone.deferredZoneUpdate() to nice error messages.

Can anyone tell?

S-E

Re: Jetbrains considers to deprecate Tapestry plugin in IntelliJ 2019.3

Posted by Qbyte Consulting <qb...@gmail.com>.
Good grief, not this again.

Tapestry is a great choice where the developer has java skills (it works quite well with Scala too) and doesn’t want to spend hundreds of hours gaining proficiency in a java script framework (that change every few years) and where there isn’t budget or requirements to develop an API.

A JavaScript centric framework is fine for enterprises that have teams of backend and front end devs. This approach is not suitable for all scenarios.

John

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Svein-Erik Løken <SE...@brav.com>.
You don't have to tell us that, we know there is a world out there! I have tried Wicket - it is very good, but found Tapestry better for my needs. I am using ReactJS with Tapestry. It works very well. Tapestry is rock solid and I hope it will live forever!

S-E

Re: Jetbrains considers to deprecate Tapestry plugin in IntelliJ 2019.3

Posted by Emmanuel Sowah <es...@gmail.com>.
Lance,

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Charles Roth <cr...@thedance.net>.
We're called "professionals", who are trying to maintain older, large,
applications that were built before Angular etc existed, while we
simultaneously migrate them into smaller pieces that will work with
modern frameworks.

So if you've got nothing useful to say, get the hell off my lawn, kid,
and let the grownups get some work done.

Posted by Svein-Erik Løken <SE...@brav.com>.
I have built front-ends with Typescript,  JSX,  React, sometimes mixed with Tapestry Zones. I always tries use T5 components, but not too hard. The admin client don't need to be so fancy and is 95% Tapestry code. I found that the quality and code maintaining is much better when using Tapestry. For me Tapestry is almost perfect, but of course I hope the framework will evolve.

I am a huge fan of IntelliJ Ultimate. If the Tapestry plugin stops to work then don't know what to do! I think it is absolutely necessary for coding speed, navigating and quality check.

I hope that having the IntelliJ Tapestry plugin open source then it can be even better. I have reported several issues to JetBrains, but they are still unresolved. The most important now is that the plugin will work in new versions of IntelliJ.

Again, a big thank to the guys that keeps Tapestry going.

S-E

React repeats the same sins as JSP by mixing code and presentation. A problem tapestry addressed. Its kind of strange seeing this JSP age issue afflict those “better frameworks”.

I’d also wager a SPA could be developed more quickly in tapestry than with any JS framework plus an API. Then there there’s also the fact that tapestry apps can be developed by any Java developer without a need for much additional JS expertise.

Can’t really compare apples and oranges.

John

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Emmanuel Sowah <es...@gmail.com>.
Well John, that historic argument of missing code and presentation was
probably oversold as bad then just to push a new thing unto us. Having used
these modern frameworks in large scale projects, that has never been an
issue. Facebook is using these frameworks too for their global app. Should
that have been an issue, believe me, React would not have been this popular.

By the way, JS is the language of the web and is here to stay. As a java
developer, I don't mind sharpening my JS language skills.

Posted by Qbyte Consulting <qb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Sowah <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

To be fair Tapestry support as implemented in the plugin was and is still
very limited and sometimes even misleading, and there's definitely room for
improvements.

But it's still the best we have.

In case you didn't notice, the plugin has been open sourced few months ago:

https://github.com/JetBrains/intellij-plugins/tree/master/tapestry

so maybe we can pick it up from there and build on top of it.

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com