Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Stefan Bund <as...@gmx.de> on 2008/09/08 10:38:31 UTC

rudimentary HTML image-map transcoder implementation

Hi everyone,

I have implemented a simple and rudimentary HTML image-map transcoder
for batik. I know, there has already been an implementation by Thomas
Knodt in 2002 but that seems never to have been added to the batik
codebase.

I found some code on the mailing list and started to work from
that. The only code I found was a very basic implementation. There
seems to have been a more elaborate implementation but I just couldn't
get the source code of that, I only found it mentioned on the
mailinglists.

This is only an initial attempt and I cannot promise to work on it
much longer, I will try. However I hope that somehow an HTML image-map
transcoder will make it's way into batik sometime :-)

My experience with batik is very limited ... I only started using it a
few days ago but I really need image-map support so I started to
scratch that itch (FYI I'm coming from docbook and use batik to
convert svg graphics to png but need to support internal links in
HTML).

Here a few words on the patch:

* I added a getOutline member to SVGContext. There was already a
  getBBox call there and getOuline is just a fancy kind of bounding
  box so I thought this to be ok

* The ImageMapTranscoder itself does not re-build any gvt nodes as the
  old implementation did, it instead uses SVGContext.getOutline

* I only minimally changed the original code I found as needed to keep
  it simple for me ... it was enough trouble to find out how batik
  works :-)

I have not attached the code to this mail since I don't know, whether
this is acceptable on this list. Please let me know whether I should
post the patch here or open a bug or if you have some other way to
contribute code.

stefan.