Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jan Willem Penterman <jw...@shapers.nl> on 2002/08/17 23:13:55 UTC

SQLTransformer good, ESQL bad

I'm sorry to the spam the list like this, but now I've got the feeling
I'm really getting somewhere:

I've set up cocoon-2.0.3 binary release for j2sdk1.4 and added a pool
for MySQL Connector/J .

Now I've actually managed to get some row data from a MySQL database
using SQLTransformer!

But with ESQL it still fails in:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception in
ServerPagesGenerator.generate(): java.lang.RuntimeException: Error
opening connection to dburl: : No suitable driver

Now besides being curious about solving this error, I'd like to know why
or why not I should stickt with SQLTransformer. In other words, why
should I care about ESQL?

JW

P.s. I'm not going to post the pool setup, since SQLTransformer clearly
got a connection from it so it works.

query.xsp:
----------

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsp:page
	language="java"
	xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp"
	xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2">
	<root>
		<esql:connection>
			<esql:execute-query>
				<!-- connection information -->
				<esql:pool>mysql</esql:pool>

				<!-- SQL query -->
				<esql:query>
					select something from that
				</esql:query>
				<!-- result processing elements -->
				<esql:results>
					<esql:row-results>
						<that>

<esql:get-columns/>
						</that>
					</esql:row-results>
				</esql:results>
				<esql:update-results/>
				<esql:no-results/>
				<esql:error-results/>
			</esql:execute-query>

		</esql:connection>
	</root>
</xsp:page>

sitemap.xmap: (this is a subsitemap of cocoon/sitemap.xmap)
-------------

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- sitemap for mysqltest -->

<map:sitemap xmlns:map="http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0">

  <!-- ======= Components ======= -->
  <map:components>
    <map:generators default="file">
        <map:generator label="content,data"
logger="sitemap.generator.serverpages" name="serverpages" pool-grow="2"
pool-max="32" pool-min="4"
src="org.apache.cocoon.generation.ServerPagesGenerator"/>
	</map:generators>
    <map:transformers default="xslt"/>
    <map:readers default="resource"/>
    <map:serializers default="html"/>
    <map:selectors default="browser"/>
    <map:matchers default="wildcard">
      <map:matcher name="wildcard"
        src="org.apache.cocoon.matching.WildcardURIMatcherFactory"/>
    </map:matchers>
  </map:components>

  <!-- ======= Pipelines ======= -->
  <map:pipelines>
    <map:pipeline>
		 <map:match pattern="index.html">
			<map:read src="documents/static/index.html"
mime-type="text/html"/>
		 </map:match>
		 <map:match pattern="esqltest.xml">
			<map:generate src="logic/query.xsp"
type="serverpages"/>
			<map:serialize type="xml"/>
		 </map:match>

		<map:match pattern="sqlttest.xml">
			<map:generate src="documents/mysqltest.xml"/>
			<map:transform type="sql">
		        <map:parameter name="use-connection"
value="mysql"/>
		    </map:transform>
			<map:serialize type="xml"/>
		</map:match>
	</map:pipeline>
  </map:pipelines>

</map:sitemap>

Re: ESQL DTD? (Was: SQLTransformer good, ESQL good!)

Posted by Alan Hodgkinson <al...@softxs.ch>.
Dear Christian,

Thanks for the quick reply :)

> > And worse.. the Dodds IBM Tutorial, 'Cocoon 2: Build database
> > driven sites', presents an example that contains the following:
> >
> >   <esql:connection>
> >     <esql:execute-query>
> >       <esql:pool>...</esql:pool>
> >       <esql:query>...
> >

> *WRONG*
>
> > In the Cocoon documentation 'How to develop Web Applications', their
> > example contains:
> >
> >   <esql:connection>
> >     <esql:pool>...</esql:pool>
> >     <esql:execute-query>
> >       <esql:query>...
>
> *CORRECT*

> The pool is a property of a connection and stays the same for all
> queries using that connection.
>
> Could you please point the error out to Dodd?

Done.

> > I'm new to Cocoon and it's frustrating to have to trace down these sorts
> > of errors. RTFM helps, but isn't the complete colution.
>
> Agreed. We should try to have up to date xsds for the logicsheets.
> I'm guilty myself of not updating the xsd :-( I'll try to get better :-)

By this is assume you mean the file:

  ./build/cocoon/webapp/samples/docs/samples/xsp/esql.xsd

A quick search through the CVS head only turns up a few xsd's, mostly
concered with esql and the sitemap. Does this mean that there aren't any
xsd's for the other logicsheets? Even out of date ones would be better
than nothing (hint, hint! :).

Best wishes,

Alan.

Re: ESQL DTD? (Was: SQLTransformer good, ESQL good!)

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 19.Aug.2002 -- 09:24 AM, Alan Hodgkinson wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Christian Haul wrote:

> > > Erm, _I_ am really strange...
> > > I had my esql:pool tag within the esql:query...
> > > Aargh!
>
> Do you mean the pool was within the 'query' or within the
> 'execute-query'?
>
> > ..[snip].. Mind you, no-one else spotted it either.
>
> And worse.. the Dodds IBM Tutorial, 'Cocoon 2: Build database
> driven sites', presents an example that contains the following:
>
>   <esql:connection>
>     <esql:execute-query>
>       <esql:pool>...</esql:pool>
>       <esql:query>...

*WRONG*

> In the Cocoon documentation 'How to develop Web Applications', their
> example contains:
>
>   <esql:connection>
>     <esql:pool>...</esql:pool>
>     <esql:execute-query>
>       <esql:query>...

*CORRECT*

The pool is a property of a connection and stays the same for all
queries using that connection.

Could you please point the error out to Dodd?

> Who's right? Or are they both right? I assume we trust the source.. e.g.
> the Cocoon doc. But it raises a larger question. Are there DTD's or
> other 'reference documentation' that we can go to definitively resolve
> such issues? Is there someplace in the source code that we look (without
> having to reverse engineer half of the Jakarta projects :)?

Yes, there is a .XSD around for esql which is unfortunately out of
sync i.e. does not capture a number of extention to esql. You can find
it next to the esql.xsp sample.

> I'm new to Cocoon and it's frustrating to have to trace down these sorts
> of errors. RTFM helps, but isn't the complete colution.

Agreed. We should try to have up to date xsds for the logicsheets.
I'm guilty myself of not updating the xsd :-( I'll try to get better :-)

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

ESQL DTD? (Was: SQLTransformer good, ESQL good!)

Posted by Alan Hodgkinson <al...@softxs.ch>.

Dear All,

Christian Haul wrote:

> On 18.Aug.2002 -- 09:14 PM, Jan Willem Penterman wrote:
> > > This is _really_ strange.
> >
> > Erm, _I_ am really strange...
> > I had my esql:pool tag within the esql:query...
> > Aargh!

Do you mean the pool was within the 'query' or within the
'execute-query'?

> ..[snip].. Mind you, no-one else spotted it either.

And worse.. the Dodds IBM Tutorial, 'Cocoon 2: Build database
driven sites', presents an example that contains the following:

  <esql:connection>
    <esql:execute-query>
      <esql:pool>...</esql:pool>
      <esql:query>...

In the Cocoon documentation 'How to develop Web Applications', their
example contains:

  <esql:connection>
    <esql:pool>...</esql:pool>
    <esql:execute-query>
      <esql:query>...

Who's right? Or are they both right? I assume we trust the source.. e.g.
the Cocoon doc. But it raises a larger question. Are there DTD's or
other 'reference documentation' that we can go to definitively resolve
such issues? Is there someplace in the source code that we look (without
having to reverse engineer half of the Jakarta projects :)?

I'm new to Cocoon and it's frustrating to have to trace down these sorts
of errors. RTFM helps, but isn't the complete colution.

I suffered from the exact same 'No suitable driver' error when trying
to access mysql using esql. By making the change described above to the
esql, I've now been able to advance to the 'next error'. There must be
a more efficient way.

Comments, pointers to documentation, DTD files for esql (or other
namespaced cocoon features) would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Alan Hodgkinson

Re: SQLTransformer good, ESQL good!

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 18.Aug.2002 -- 09:14 PM, Jan Willem Penterman wrote:
> > This is _really_ strange.
>
> Erm, _I_ am really strange...
> I had my esql:pool tag within the esql:query...
> Aargh!

Glad to hear this is not esql related :-)

Posted by Jan Willem Penterman <jw...@shapers.nl>.

Re: SQLTransformer good, ESQL bad

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 18.Aug.2002 -- 07:19 PM, Jan Willem Penterman wrote:
> > Could you please try to find if your logs contain something
> > like "could not acquire a Connection -- waiting" and set the
> > parameter <connect-attempts>1</connect-attempts> in the
> > declaration of the transformer in sitemap.xmap?
>
> No only the 'no suitable driver' error when calling the esql page..
> And SQLTransformer works just fine with 1 connection attempt.

This is _really_ strange. The real stuff is handled by Avalon Excalibur
for both approaches. There should not be any difference. As I don't have
MySQL here, I cannot test. And there *are* users on this list who use
this combination. So it appears to be related to your particular
setup. But... (goto begin of loop)

> Is the way I call the esql sheet any good? :
>
> ..
> <map:generator label="content,data"
> logger="sitemap.generator.serverpages" name="serverpages" pool-grow="2"
> pool-max="32" pool-min="4"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.generation.ServerPagesGenerator"/>

Um, I don't know. Looks good, but I seem to remember that pool
parameters don't work with server pages. But *I* don't *know*.
If removing the pool-* attributes changes anything, it would be
nice to know.

	Chris.

Posted by Jan Willem Penterman <jw...@shapers.nl>.

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 17.Aug.2002 -- 11:13 PM, Jan Willem Penterman wrote:
> I'm sorry to the spam the list like this, but now I've got the feeling
> I'm really getting somewhere:
>
> I've set up cocoon-2.0.3 binary release for j2sdk1.4 and added a pool
> for MySQL Connector/J .
>
> Now I've actually managed to get some row data from a MySQL database
> using SQLTransformer!
>
> But with ESQL it still fails in:
>
> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception in
> ServerPagesGenerator.generate(): java.lang.RuntimeException: Error
> opening connection to dburl: : No suitable driver

Jan, this is hardly believable. Since both use the same pool and almost
the same code to obtain the pool, it is highly unlikely that one is
successfull and the other one isn't.

One difference exists, though: SQLTransformer retries 5 times to get a
connection while ESQL doesn't.

Could you please try to find if your logs contain something like
"could not acquire a Connection -- waiting" and set the parameter
<connect-attempts>1</connect-attempts> in the declaration of the
transformer in sitemap.xmap?

If this is indeed the case, we could add similar functionality to ESQL.

	Chris.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
>From the information provided it is not immediately apparent to me what
your problem is.  But from crude benchmarking I've done.. ESQL is
SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the SQLTransformer..  To experience this, use
apbench on the http://localhost:8080/cocoon/samples/poi/statetax.xls and
statetax2.xls (filenames are approximate) examples that come with
cocoon.  The statetax2 example is more complicated and has groupings and
stuff, but its STILL several times faster than the SQLTransformer
version.  I found my results to be consistent when used other ways as
well.

SQLTransformer is slow.

-Andy

On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 17:13, Jan Willem Penterman wrote:
> [...]
>     <map:readers default="resource"/>
>     <map:serializers default="html"/>
>     <map:selectors default="browser"/>
>     <map:matchers default="wildcard">
>       <map:matcher name="wildcard"
>         src="org.apache.cocoon.matching.WildcardURIMatcherFactory"/>
>     </map:matchers>
>   </map:components>
>
>   <!-- ======= Pipelines ======= -->
>   <map:pipelines>
>     <map:pipeline>
> 		 <map:match pattern="index.html">
> 			<map:read src="documents/static/index.html"
> mime-type="text/html"/>
> 		 </map:match>
> 		 <map:match pattern="esqltest.xml">
> 			<map:generate src="logic/query.xsp"
> type="serverpages"/>
> 			<map:serialize type="xml"/>
> 		 </map:match>
>
> 		<map:match pattern="sqlttest.xml">
> 			<map:generate src="documents/mysqltest.xml"/>

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

RE: SQLTransformer good, ESQL bad

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Jan,

well, I use SQLTranformer and not ESQL, for two basic reasons:

1) it does Stored Procedures just fine (and a year before ESQL did)
2) I don't like to be restricted to the generation step when it comes to SQL (as happens using XSP)... though I have to admit I
dislike XSP all the way

On the other hand:

1) SQLTransformer is slower than EQSL (I didn't test it myself, though)
2) Some Cocoon developers think it worth deprecating (though this idea was rejected as late as a few weeks ago). Hence, don't expect
SQLTranaformer to be upgraded anytime soon (though I might get on this job... hmmm...)

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org