Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> on 2011/09/26 19:13:50 UTC

Ultramercial v. Hulu and WildTangent

I realize many of you don't read court decisions for a living. This is an
important decision of the CAFC approving the patentability in the U.S. of
software and business methods for processes performed on the Internet. This
case relates to a process for presenting advertising and generating revenue
from clicks on ads. The case addresses only the 35 U.S.C. § 101
"patent-eligible subject matter" test, and leaves for other proceedings the
§ 102 (novelty), § 103 (obviousness) and § 112 (adequacy of specification)
tests.

http://inventivestep.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/10-1544.pdf

2011 U.S.App.LEXIS 19048

2011 WL 4090761

I'll be interested to hear your opinions about this case. I do not know if
it will be appealed.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

Cell: 707-478-8932

Apache Software Foundation, board member and counsel (www.apache.org)

Re: Ultramercial v. Hulu and WildTangent

Posted by Jonathan Feinstein <Jo...@KrasGrossLaw.com>.
An interesting decision. Thanks for pointing to it. What I find most interesting is that both Hulu and Youtube were dismissed from the case. That suggests that they settled. Given the seeming obviousness of the process that surprises me. The plaintiffs must not have been asking for much money. WildTangent, OTOH, seems to have missed their opportunity for a quick win. I doubt they will appeal since they must have known this line of attack was a long shot. As far as the impact of this decision on software, it merely restates in clear terms, what Bilski held more obliquely. Bad patents (and bad 'software' patents in particular) will need to be felled by other means. This, of course, means that patent litigation will remain an expensive blood sport.

Jonathan