Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Pulkit Singhal <pu...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/29 23:20:05 UTC

Adding additional fields to _attachments

Is it possible to add additional info about an attachment to a document?
For example, if images may be uploaded to a document and you want to know
which user uploaded which attachment.

I have this in my CouchDB:
   "_attachments": {
       "blah.png": {
           "content_type": "image/png",
           "revpos": 3,
           "digest": "md5-UesBCc6fFHHPxYyIy+fGXA==",
           "length": 97709,
           "stub": true
       }
   }

And I tried to edit it in Futon and put an additional attribute "user" :
"username" into it but the change didn't take effect, I confirmed this by
polling the info after saving it.

Any suggestions on the right approach to do this?

Re: Adding additional fields to _attachments

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Nope. Fields beginning with _ are reserved by the system. In this
case, _attachments is not really part of your document at all, it's
added by couchdb from its knowledge of your attachments.

You can add an "attachments" object that mirrors _attachments and
store any attributes you like there.

B.