Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2000/02/17 16:29:23 UTC

RE: Servlets XML

If you want to do basic XML production then transformation, it's
>probably easier for you to write your own servlet since Cocoon
>gives you
>much more power than that, but it's also harder to understand and
>install. (not that hard, in truth, but I'm heavily biased)

I suspect you to be just a little 'Cocoon tifosi' ;-)

>But in case you want to start working with XML moving your
>stuff over...

I didn't even start my servlets (many parts of code but no real running
servlet).
What I need is a good framework. My problem will be that this solution
(cocoon producer,
or servlet + xalan) will have to work also on AS/400 V4R3/V4R4 and IBM
WebSphere 2.x/3.x.

>well, in that case, I'd suggest you to invest a couple of hours and get
>your XML publishing system up and running.

Could I find an example producer (skeleton).

>Example? Almost all Cocoon users are using Cocoon for what you need,
>using custom producers or XSP pages.

Typically I will have :

BROWSER -> APACHE 1.3.11 + MOD_SSL 2.5.0 + JSERV 1.1 -> TOMCAT 3.1M1 -> XXXX

Where XXX will be a servlet :

- getting POST parameters,
- format/send params to internal middleware
- wait/transform results into XML
- send to an HTML Transformer (via XSL files) and then send to browser
(res.setContentType("text/xml")

Question: My XSL files will not change too often but my XML results each
time. How Cocoon handle
this fact (I read there is a cache system but I must be for a given XML+XSL
couple ?)

Many thanks for any suggestions....

Re: Servlets XML

Posted by Russell Castagnaro <ru...@synctank.com>.
Gomez,

Cocoon will run on the AS400 platform V4R4 inside weblogic (except for XSP) no
problemo.
-rrc

GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> If you want to do basic XML production then transformation, it's
> >probably easier for you to write your own servlet since Cocoon
> >gives you
> >much more power than that, but it's also harder to understand and
> >install. (not that hard, in truth, but I'm heavily biased)
>
> I suspect you to be just a little 'Cocoon tifosi' ;-)
>
> >But in case you want to start working with XML moving your
> >stuff over...
>
> I didn't even start my servlets (many parts of code but no real running
> servlet).
> What I need is a good framework. My problem will be that this solution
> (cocoon producer,
> or servlet + xalan) will have to work also on AS/400 V4R3/V4R4 and IBM
> WebSphere 2.x/3.x.
>
> >well, in that case, I'd suggest you to invest a couple of hours and get
> >your XML publishing system up and running.
>
> Could I find an example producer (skeleton).
>
> >Example? Almost all Cocoon users are using Cocoon for what you need,
> >using custom producers or XSP pages.
>
> Typically I will have :
>
> BROWSER -> APACHE 1.3.11 + MOD_SSL 2.5.0 + JSERV 1.1 -> TOMCAT 3.1M1 -> XXXX
>
> Where XXX will be a servlet :
>
> - getting POST parameters,
> - format/send params to internal middleware
> - wait/transform results into XML
> - send to an HTML Transformer (via XSL files) and then send to browser
> (res.setContentType("text/xml")
>
> Question: My XSL files will not change too often but my XML results each
> time. How Cocoon handle
> this fact (I read there is a cache system but I must be for a given XML+XSL
> couple ?)
>
> Many thanks for any suggestions....

Russell Castagnaro
Chief Mentor
SyncTank Solutions
http://www.synctank.com

Earth is the cradle of mankind; one does not remain in the cradle forever
-Tsiolkovsky