Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ken Keefe <ka...@digitalfamily.org> on 2004/11/12 21:14:17 UTC

Please help...

I have been struggling with Tomcat for several days and I am at the end
of my rope. If I come across as irritated, I apologize in advance.

I simply want to learn how to write JSP. I have a book and I want to
start working through it, but I am having trouble setting up a server to
serve JSP. I currently run Apache to serve HTML and PHP. Ideally, I'd
simply like Apache to start recognizing JSP and handling it
appropriately. Unfortunately that seems to not be an easy task... I have
tried using mod_jk to connect Tomcat and Apache, with no luck.

I finally gave up on trying to use Apache and I was just going to keep
them separate. Now, how do I tell Tomcat to serve my jsp files??? I
tried using the manager web program to add an application pointing to
the correct directory, it accepts the command, but nothing is added to
the application list and it doesn't serve the content like I expected it
to.

Finally I said screw it, I'll simply put my experiment files in the
document root of Tomcat and use that for now. Still no luck, it serves
up the same default stuff, even when I rename the file.

My environment is the following: Fedora Core 2, Apache 2.0.51, Tomcat
5.5.4, JDK 1.5.0.

Ideally I'd like to do what I talked about earlier, having Apache
"automagically" know what to do with *.jsp files. However, I'll take
what I can get!

Thank you very much in advance. I can't explain how damned aggravating
this whole thing has been.

Ken