Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brad Nicholes <BN...@novell.com> on 2001/10/05 22:37:10 UTC

1.3.21 fails on NetWare... please check other platforms..

The tagged version apache 1.3.21 fails on NetWare because of a problem in HTTPD.CONF.  A <Directory...> block was added to handle access to /manual/ which appears to be mis-configured.  The file httpd.conf-dist-nw contains the following block:

    # This Alias will project the on-line documentation tree into your
    # logical DocumentRoot. Comment it if you don't want to provide access
    # to the on-line docu for some reason.
    #
    Alias /manual/ "sys:/apache/manual/"

    <Directory "sys:/apache/manual">
        Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

The problem is that "sys:/apache/manual" does not exist.  The directory path should be "sys:/apache/htdocs/manual".  The conf file for other platforms contains:

    Alias /manual/ "@@ServerRoot@@/manual/"

    <Directory "@@ServerRoot@@/manual">

Shouldn't this be @@DocumentRoot@@ rather than @@ServerRoot@@ since /manual/ is a subdirectory of /htdocs/  ?

    Alias /manual/ "@@DocumentRoot@@/manual/"

    <Directory "@@DocumentRoot@@/manual">
        Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

I will be checking in a fix for "httpd.conf-dist-nw"

Brad

Re: 1.3.21 fails on NetWare... please check other platforms..

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>.
Then this is broken on Win32 as well.

Looks like 1.3.21 must be tossed and this vetoed change modified
to reflect @@ServerRoot@@/htdocs/manual.

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>.
On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 09:10:47AM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > For the Record, I'm:
> > -1 [also veto] for changing from @@ServerRoot@@/htdocs/manual
> >
> > +1 for providing <Directory > and Alias from manual to @@ServerRoot/htdocs/manual.

So, did anybody follow my latest patches in this area, and does
everybody think that

*) the veto has been addressed (the defaults have been reverted to
   @@ServerRoot@@/htdocs/manual) and

*) the possibility of the --manualdir= override does not break anything

?
Hopefully, no objections remain.

  Martin
--
<Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>         |     Fujitsu Siemens
Fon: +49-89-636-46021, FAX: +49-89-636-47655 | 81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: 1.3.21 fails on NetWare... please check other platforms..

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
+1 on all Bill's suggestions.

Bill

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 10:38:23PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Gives Greg time to be sure the Expat stuff is dead on (didn't see any note
> in Changes post-1.3.21).  Gives us the weekend to decide how to solve manual.

I believe it is done. I did some additional testing with the lib/expat-lite
removed and it behaved as expected, so I don't have any further changes. The
tweak that I did didn't warrant a CHANGES entry.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Greg Stein wrote:

> Um... gotta ask Ken about this. He vetoed a change in this area.
>
> If the change related to the veto hasn't been backed out, then we may have
> to yank 1.3.21

I'd totally forgotten it had been vetoed.  :-/ Anyhow, it has definitely
NOT been completely backed out... look at httpd.conf-dist and
config.layout--the change is still in.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: 1.3.21 fails on NetWare... please check other platforms..

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.