Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> on 2012/08/07 20:11:52 UTC

Straw Poll: proposal to remove certain features from qpidd

So, to follow up and summarise this thread so far, the only contentious
point has been the loss of the 'flow to disk' functionality.

Though the current solution doesn't limit the memory used by a large
queue, it can in certain cases reduce the rate of memory growth which in
turn may buy a little more time to resolve the root cause. So while
those using it are less than fully satisfied, they are (understandably)
concerned at having even this limited solution taken away without having
any clear plan to offer a replacement.

I have spent a little time thinking through what a better solution might
look like and how much effort it would take. I believe that for ~3-5
weeks work I could get something better in place. It would be, in the
first instance, posix only[1]. It would be mutually exclusive with lvq
or priority queue options. However it would be a more effective limit on
the memory consumed as such a queue grew, and (I hope) would have a less
drastic performance penalty at larger sizes.

There are a few options for how to proceed, and I'd like to take a quick
straw poll to see which path the community favours.

(a) go ahead with the refactor, including the removal of features
mentioned in the previous mail, subsequently focus first on AMQP 1.0
support, only then return to add paged queue support

(b) go ahead with the refactor, including the removal of features
mentioned in the previous mail, subsequently focus first on paged queue
support, then proceed to add AMQP 1.0 support

(c) don't go ahead with the refactor until it can be combined with an
alternative to flow to disk, and only then proceed with AMQP 1.0 support

(d) don't go ahead with the refactor at all

I myself favour (a). I think AMQP 1.0 support is more important and more
work and would like to make more progress on that as soon as possible in
order to have something ready for the 0.20 release. I can't guarantee
that this path would result in the 0.20 release having the replacement
for flow to disk functionality, but if not it would come soon after.

I'm not so keen on (c) because maintain such a large patch against a
continually moving trunk is a lot of work in itself and I think that
time can be better spent. I'm not keen on (d) because I honestly don't
think I can add decent 1.0 support (or fix a number of known issues)
without something like this refactor.

Anyway, over to you. Let me know what you think, I'm keen we reach some
agreement by the end of the week. In the meantime I'll try and make my
proposal for the flow to disk replacement a bit more concrete.

--Gordon.

[1] It will be designed such that it is relatively simple to provide
alternative implementations for the posix functionality such that anyone
with interest can easily add windows support for example. From what I
can tell, it doesn't look like flow to disk is supported on windows at
present anyway. I could be wrong.

RE: Straw Poll: proposal to remove certain features from qpidd

Posted by Gary Jackson <ga...@ijetonboard.com>.
Our team concurs: +1 for (a)

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 19:11 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> [...]
>
> I'm not so keen on (c) because maintain such a large patch against a
> continually moving trunk is a lot of work in itself and I think that
> time can be better spent. I'm not keen on (d) because I honestly don't
> think I can add decent 1.0 support (or fix a number of known issues)
> without something like this refactor.
>
> Anyway, over to you. Let me know what you think, I'm keen we reach
> some agreement by the end of the week. In the meantime I'll try and
> make my proposal for the flow to disk replacement a bit more concrete.
>
> --Gordon.
>
> [1] It will be designed such that it is relatively simple to provide
> alternative implementations for the posix functionality such that
> anyone with interest can easily add windows support for example. From
> what I can tell, it doesn't look like flow to disk is supported on
> windows at present anyway. I could be wrong.

This message and its attachments are the property of iJet Technologies, Inc. and are intended solely for the use of the designated recipient(s) and their appointed delegates. This email may contain information that is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from printing, copying, forwarding or saving any portion of the message or attachments. Please delete the message and attachments and notify the sender immediately. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Straw Poll: proposal to remove certain features from qpidd

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
+1 for (a)

Posted by Cliff Jansen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1 for (a)

Posted by "Weston M. Price" <wp...@redhat.com>.
On Aug 8, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:

> +1 for (a).

+1 from me as well.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 for (a).

Posted by Andy Goldstein <an...@redhat.com>.
My vote is for (a)

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
+1 for (a)

Re: Last chance! (was Re: Straw Poll: proposal to remove certain features from qpidd)

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 08/09/2012 06:52 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who has voiced an opinion so far. My plan is to start
> getting the patch on to trunk tomorrow.

This has now been done. I've had one report of some intermittent issues
with ha, there may other issues that the tests didn't pick up. If you
come across something let me know or raise a bug (though Jira is a
little unwell at present it seems).

Last chance! (was Re: Straw Poll: proposal to remove certain features from qpidd)

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Thanks to everyone who has voiced an opinion so far. My plan is to start
getting the patch on to trunk tomorrow. If anyone is not happy with
option (a), has other concerns or simply needs more time, make yourself
heard!

Re: Straw Poll: proposal to remove certain features from qpidd

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 for (a)

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
+1 for (a)

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
I really like the refactor, and would rather see it sooner than later, so I'm good with (a)!
-K