Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Charles Yao <yi...@hotmail.com> on 2023/07/27 17:08:36 UTC

Legal Questions of Apache Ambari

Hi Apache Legal Team,

Good day! I have a question about the real relationship between Apache Ambari and the Cloudera company(https://www.cloudera.com/) .

 The background is as below,

I am planning to use Ambari as the tool to manage Hadoop cluster, according to my research, I see below introduction of Ambari on Cloudera's official website,
[cid:c105e7b0-15d3-4048-b360-bcfc3cbbccf0]
Link Page: https://www.cloudera.com/products/open-source/apache-hadoop/apache-ambari.html

As we know, the product Hortonworks Data Platform(HDP) is owned by Cloudera company, so what confused me is what's the real relationship between Apache Ambari and Cloudera company? We do not have any business coopeartion with Cloudera company, if this is the case, are we still allowed to use Apache Ambari in enterprise cluster servers? Are there any legal risks? This is my big concern, and I am very appreciate if team can help to clarify. Many thanks.

Thanks,
Yao

回复: Legal Questions of Apache Ambari

Posted by Charles Yao <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

I'm clear now. Thank you very much for the detailed clarification.

Thanks,
Yao

Apache Ambari (see https://ambari.apache.org/) is an open source project available under the Apache license. Cloudera uses it as part of their platform, but the Apache Amber PMC (project management committee) and the broader community around the project set its direction. Cloudera probably pays for some people to work on the project, and some of its employees may be on its PMC.

You can use Apache Ambari in the way you describe, and the legal risks would be the same as other ASF projects, i.e. as long as you abide by the terms of the Apache license and ASF’s trademarks, you will have no issues.

Kind Regards,
Justin

[cid:51d06054-a297-49af-ba3e-d361f50f35da@AUSP282.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM]

Re: Legal Questions of Apache Ambari