Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Alan Chiang <al...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/27 15:55:35 UTC

Dynamically Generate PSML/Menus

Hi all,
   I'm a bit new to Jetspeed, portals, and the surrounding
technologies, but I'm slowly taking it all in.

  I would like to create a menu similar to the PSML menus, but they
need to be dynamically generated from a database.  The menu would list
items, for example cars, and as you click on each different car, the
portlets in the card would be populated with more information about
the car - that is, when I select "BMW" from the menu, the portlets are
asked to refresh with information about "BMW", and when I select
"Toyota" the portlets would again refresh.  So each menu item contains
the exact same set of portlets, just that they display information
based on the state of the menu (either PSML OR Velocity, which is what
I'm dabbling in now)

  The last thing I'd like is for this menu to maintain its current
selection across tabs, so if I have different tabs - low, mid, high -
and I select "BMW" then as I click through the tabs, the menu
selection remains the same, and the portlets are populated with the
corresponding information

Thanks to all for your help in advance,

AC