Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Michael Melhem <mi...@apache.org> on 2003/02/03 13:33:30 UTC

sample web-app too complex?

Hi Cocooners,

I know that we probably have had this discussion before, but is there a
reason why we dont have simple "Hello-World" sample web-app along side
the current sample web-app? (or does there already exist an independent
"hello-world" web-app that Im not aware of?)

I have been trying to encourage some people I know to adopt Cocoon
in their organisations, but it seems to me that many new people are
daunted by the complexity of the sample web-app.  It might not seem so
difficult for most of us (who use cocoon everyday) but this is not the
case for most new users.

Typically a new Cocoon user is initially looking for a non-real world example to
tinker with so that they can learn the fundimental concepts behind Cocoon.
These people should not be concered with mounting sub-sitemaps, fancy
regexp matching and internal cocoon redirects, or sifting through hundreds of
component declerations in the components section. This tends to put new
users off.

Do others have an opinion on this ?

Regards,
Michael

Re: sample web-app too complex?

Posted by Guido Casper <gc...@s-und-n.de>.
> -> Right now I use an ant task to build a .jar which
> then gets (manually) put in cocoon/WEB-INF/lib
>
> Is there a way to make this local or reference
> it more self contained from sitemap.xmap ?
>
> Ideally with a map:action src=" something
> relative.
>
> Is that possible ?
>
> -> Right now I add the xindice.jar to the lib
> of cocoon/WEB-INF.
>
> Is there a way instead to
> manage the classpath directly from the
> sitemap.xmap in the local directory ?
>
>Or in short; how do I make the above a more 'modular' and stand alone
>example. Pointers to the right place in the documentation appreciated.

This is currently not possible (as far as java code is concerned).
You have to wait for Cocoon 2.2 or until the notorious block concept is
implemented.
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Blocks

HTH
Guido

Re: sample web-app too complex?

Posted by Guido Casper <gc...@s-und-n.de>.
> -> in sitemap.xmap I'd like to reference
> the cocoon/samples/stylesheets/... relative
> or absolute to server root rather than have the local
> copy in the styles directory.
>
> Is that possible ?

<map:transform src="context://samples/stylesheets/xy.xsl"/>

HTH
Guido

Re: sample web-app too complex?

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
While on the subject, I just got:

        http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=XMLFormXindice

to work - and was wondering how one should package this as cleanly,
modular and small as possible ?

I.e:
	http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkx/CoFi/

is what I have now. But it still has a few hard coded paths and
references. Ultimately I'd like to get it as a simple zip/jar which
can be added to the XMLFormXindice page which is trivial to deploy.

Things I am left to wonder - and would appreciate it if anyone could point
me to the right documentation:

->	in sitemap.xmap I'd like to reference
	the cocoon/samples/stylesheets/... relative
	or absolute to server root rather than have the local
	copy in the styles directory.

	Is that possible ?

->	Right now I use an ant task to build a .jar which
	then gets (manually) put in cocoon/WEB-INF/lib

	Is there a way to make this local or reference
	it more self contained from sitemap.xmap ?

	Ideally with a map:action src=" something
	relative.

	Is that possible ?

->	Right now I add the xindice.jar to the lib
	of cocoon/WEB-INF.

	Is there a way instead to
	manage the classpath directly from the
	sitemap.xmap in the local directory ?

Or in short; how do I make the above a more 'modular' and stand alone
example. Pointers to the right place in the documentation appreciated.

Thanks,

Dw

Re: sample web-app too complex?

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 05:07:12PM +0100, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le Mercredi, 12 f?v 2003, ? 16:56 Europe/Zurich, Michael Melhem a ?crit
> :

> > We would also
> >have only one or two pipelines using say a basic file generator
> >to transform an xml file to HTML etc. I think at a minimum the webapp
> >would aslo need to show basic use of actions views..
> >Does anyone else see value in this?
>
> Definitely.
>
> Or maybe even *two* minimal samples, one for read-only
> HTML/PDF/RTF/etc. publishing stuff and another for a
> database/transactions/CRUD webapp.

Yep, that makes sense...

I think the first step would be to get an early version of
of "hello-world.war" up and running... and then we could
take it from there (as far as special requests go)

Michael

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:11:11PM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Michael Melhem wrote:
>
> >With the current complexity of the webapp Im afraid that perhaps a lot
> >of new users might not be able to see the "forrest for the trees".
> >
> >Does anyone else see value in this?
>
> I do.
>
> It's planned for the improved build system I'm working on.
>
> Expect it soon.

Oh good, I can take this off my to-do list. :)

Michael

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Michael Melhem wrote:

>Hi Christian, I was actually thinking that we could provide a new
>build target that would build a hello-world.war and would contain
>only one or two simple samples.
>
>The object of this hello-world.war would be demonstrate the basic
>features/ideas behind Cocoon without getting bogged down on details.
>Just something simple with extra documentation so that newbies can get
>ther handes dirty real quick.
>
>So instead of having X number of generators|transformers|serializers
>being declared in the components section, we would have one or two
>of each which would make things much easier to follow. We would also
>have only one or two pipelines using say a basic file generator
>to transform an xml file to HTML etc. I think at a minimum the webapp
>would aslo need to show basic use of actions views..
>
>With the current complexity of the webapp Im afraid that perhaps a lot
>of new users might not be able to see the "forrest for the trees".
>
>Does anyone else see value in this?

Good idea Michael,

I have been trying to get my head around Cocoon for a couple months now,
without biting the bullet and devoting a solid week to it.

This approach hasn't been successful yet.  I think your idea may help a lot.

I would like to put in a request that you include a simple example using
a custom generator instead of a flat XML file.  The reason is that I am
coming from a servlet / JSP / struts background instead of a HTML / PHP
/ whatever background.  I want to use Cocoon as a platform for web
applications more than multi-platform publishing.

Thanks,
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks
http://www.isisnetworks.net

Re: sample web-app too complex?

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 05:30:27PM +0100, SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous wrote:
> I heavily agree.
>
> Just another idea going into the same direction:
>
> Would it make sense to organise something like a
> "cocoon core application" plus some zip-files, each of them
> containing one complete setup for one example. So the user
> could do :
>
> 1.) install cocoon
> 2.) drop his favorite example zip into a dedicated
>     location inside cocoon (e.g. $cocoonroot/testscenarios)
> 3.) test it
> 4.) delete it if not used anymore
>
> what would be needed to get this done?
>
> 1.) basically add a fresh mountpoint to rootsitemap and enshure, that
>     the subdirectory $cocoonroot/testscenarios) exists. Alternatively
>     cleanup $cocoonroot/mount and use this for the testscenarios. It's
>     already there ....
> 2.) Each test scenario gets it's own subdir in the test scenario
>     mountpoint. By this the user could unzip the testapp into the
>     scenario folder, test it and delete the folder, if not used
>     anymore. Also this can be aranged without big problems.
>
> If the testscenarios would be built in their own folder hierarchies,
> everything would be a matter of zipping the folder, putting the zipfile
> to a download location and youre done. The user grabs the zip, unzips it
> and is done...
>
> would do you think ?

Hi Hussayn

Im not sure what you mean here, but this almost sounds a little
like cocoon blocks ??

Regards,
Michael

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
I heavily agree.

Michael Melhem wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 02:06:18PM +0100, Christian Haul wrote:
>
>>On 03.Feb.2003 -- 01:33 PM, Michael Melhem wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Cocooners,
>>>
>>>I know that we probably have had this discussion before, but is there a
>>>reason why we dont have simple "Hello-World" sample web-app along side
>>>the current sample web-app? (or does there already exist an independent
>>>"hello-world" web-app that Im not aware of?)
>>>
>>>I have been trying to encourage some people I know to adopt Cocoon
>>>in their organisations, but it seems to me that many new people are
>>>daunted by the complexity of the sample web-app.  It might not seem so
>>>difficult for most of us (who use cocoon everyday) but this is not the
>>>case for most new users.
>>
>>Michael, I'm not quite sure if I understand this "simple webapp"
>>proposal correctly. We do have a "clean-webapp" target which AFAIR
>>builds a webapp without samples or documentation.
>

> Hi Christian, I was actually thinking that we could provide a new
> build target that would build a hello-world.war and would contain
> only one or two simple samples.
>
> The object of this hello-world.war would be demonstrate the basic
> features/ideas behind Cocoon without getting bogged down on details.
> Just something simple with extra documentation so that newbies can get
> ther handes dirty real quick.
>
> So instead of having X number of generators|transformers|serializers
> being declared in the components section, we would have one or two
> of each which would make things much easier to follow. We would also
> have only one or two pipelines using say a basic file generator
> to transform an xml file to HTML etc. I think at a minimum the webapp
> would aslo need to show basic use of actions views..
>
> With the current complexity of the webapp Im afraid that perhaps a lot
> of new users might not be able to see the "forrest for the trees".
>
> Does anyone else see value in this?
>

>>The other issue is the current samples we ship. A lot lives in a
>>single sitemap file which is not really encouraging to try to
>>understand what happens in there. Perhaps, we could all adopt some
>>samples and split this monster into several sub sitemaps that contain
>>just the parts for this particular sample. Have a look at the current
>>database block samples to see what I mean.
>

> Yes I agree with you here, the current webapp could itself be
> simplified.
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>

>>	Chris.
>>--
>>C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
>>haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
>>    fingerprint: 99B0 1D9D 7919 644A 4837  7D73 FEF9 6856 335A 9E08

Dr. Hussayn Dabbous
SAXESS Software Design GmbH
Neuenhöfer Allee 125
50935 Köln
Telefon: +49-221-56011-0
Fax:     +49-221-56011-20
E-Mail:  dabbous@saxess.com

Re: sample web-app too complex?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Mercredi, 12 fév 2003, à 16:56 Europe/Zurich, Michael Melhem a écrit
:

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
I've just gone back to full time work (with a bad commute) so I'm
a little out of the loop on the discussions of the last week, but
wanted to add this:

> In this sense i simply want to point people to the essentials,
> giving them some KISS cookbook guidance, some first
> sense of achievement  and then give them the freedom to dive
> as deep into the game as they want. And only then we point
> them to "expanding your knowledge pages", such like
>
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CreateMinimalWebapp
>
> which is a significant source of knowledge and getting through
> it will certainly help understanding cocoon in more depths.
>
> I want to keep the beginners away from CreateMinimalWebapp,
> because stripping down cocoon to its essentials is a technical
> process, but users tend to start with "application use cases"
> Please i'm not talking about ALL users, i'm talking about the
> exceptional users, who don't know anything about cocoon ...

As the author of that work in progress, I agree with you - it wasn't
meant for the typical beginner.  It was my log of the process it
took me to do a minimal build on 2.0.4 release, and I thought it
more useful to core/docs contributors to get a handle on where
things stood, and maybe make some changes to make getting to that
point easier. (Actually, the other part of the plan was to add the
binary war file so people could skip the instructions)

The problem that I saw needing to be addressed was after one has
learned cocoon and wants to begin developing an app to be deployed,
how do I go about trimming out all the stuff that isn't necessary.
Part of my security thinking involves stripping out services etc. that
aren't necessary.  If I install Apache httpd, I know I don't want to
run perl cgi's so I want that out of there so there is no potential
for vulnerability on an area I'm not monitoring closely.

I don't really remember why I sent the link in response to this thread,
except that I have heard newcomers express concern that cocoon.war is
so big.  Having a minimal build that is 5meg might help alleviate that
concern  - whether they know how to create it or would actually use it
that small wasn't the issue.

So, feel completely free to use or not use any portion of that as you
see fit - I am very impressed with the effort that's been going on
with the Competency Center and have no ego tied up in whether you found
that useful.  Hope to get back to a point where I can contribute more soon.

Geoff

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
Hy, Niclas;

as you state in the beginning of your email, this issue
is far away from beeing a trivial thing. I agree with your
statement. Maybe the following anecdote hits the essential
point :

It was one of my professors, who told us, that university
courses are absolutely useless, because either the students
don't understand anything, or they already know everything.
When we asked him: "Why then are we here listening to you?"
he answered, "This is because you are the exceptions from
the rule, who don't know anything, but understand everything".
We considered this as a compliment... ;-)

coming back to cocoon:

With the ongoing effort in

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonCompetenceCenter

some of us try to get people start more quickly giving them
heavy guidance in the sense of "you don't need to understand
this now, just take it and play with it. But you MUST come
back later, if you want to understand in depth. And then you
are on your own ..." and with the cocoon-users list of course ;-)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
I would like to distinguish between

"creating a webapp with minimal cocoon"

and

"creating a webapp with minimal functionality"

Although both issues adress similar points, i think,
the bignners should not be bothered with isolating
the jars they "really need" for their app just to get
an as small as possible webapplication at the end.
I am afraid the WikiPage

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CreateMinimalWebapp

would not be what a beginner wants to start with, before they
get something to see. In my eyes this may be "step 2". But to
be honest here, i never thought of stripping down cocoon
to its basics. i just keep it as is and use what i need.
One day i may find out, that a very particular peace of cocoon
would be exactly what i need, but unfortunately i dropped it
by stripping down cocoon earlier. Now i can try to find out,
what i have to put back into my webapp to get the new stuff
up and running hmm... not convinced.

I would rather focus on the minimal functionality,
thus a webapplication, that does something usefull,
but can be easily understood without need to know
too many details of full cocoon.

This i would consider as "step one"

In this sense ->

1.) create a minimal webapp with the distrib as is.
2.) optional strip down cocoon to its basics

would this find consense in the comunity ?

regards, hussayn

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
Hy, Michael, Bertrand;