Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by galaxy <ti...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/25 04:59:40 UTC

Questions about suncompat and bootclasspath.properties

Hi ,
I have several questions about the classlib .

1)
    I noticed that the module suncompat isn't in the jre list of jar files
of harmony and also the lines of suncompat in bootclasspath.properties has
been commented
so I am wondering the function of this module ?Is it the same of
xxx-stubs.jar ?

2)
   I noticed that there are several modules like yoko , asm ,and so on
,unlike others ,they are in folders .And some of them the manifest file
doesn't have the export / import
statement including yoko  , yoko-core , yoko.rim , yoko-rmi-impl , becl.-5.2
.So how are they related to the other modules in the jre ?  I have searched
several packages of them and found no relation  between them and the other
jre modules .

Could anyone explain this to me  :)
Thanks !

--
regards
Tian

Re: Questions about suncompat and bootclasspath.properties

Posted by galaxy <ti...@gmail.com>.
Got it
Thanks,Regis,

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Regis wrote:
> galaxy wrote:
>> Thanks Regis

>>> suncompat provides some Sun internal classes that are widely used by
>>> applications. I guess these classes just delegate functions to Harmony
>>> classes which has equivalent functions.
>>

>> One more thing I don't understand .It's the sun.misc.Unsafe class .It is
>> included in both the kernel.jar
>> and suncompat.jar .So is this the reason not including it in the boot
>> class
>> path ?
>
> kernel.jar should be in the first place of bootstrap classpath,
> sun.misc.Unsafe in suncompat.jar would never be used even if
> uncommented in bootclasspath.properties.
>
> I don't know why it is not including in boot classpath (it's a long
> time ago story). Maybe people think its existence just for compatible
> reasons, Harmony can work well without it. If someone used Sun
> specific APIs and didn't willing to change, he could just add
> suncompat.jar to make his program work.

I think it was an intentional choice to not put it on the boot classpath
by default because we don't want users to develop code relying on
classes outside of the spec. So while we provide the suncompat.jar to
get applications working which already rely on those classes, we
encourage developers of new code to stick to spec'ed API by not making
them available by default.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin
Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: Questions about suncompat and bootclasspath.properties

Posted by Regis <xu...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Regis.

Re: Questions about suncompat and bootclasspath.properties

Posted by galaxy <ti...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Regis

Posted by Regis <xu...@gmail.com>.
Regis wrote:
> galaxy wrote:
>> Hi ,
>> I have several questions about the classlib .
>>
>> 1)
>>     I noticed that the module suncompat isn't in the jre list of jar
>> files
>> of harmony and also the lines of suncompat in bootclasspath.properties
>> has
>> been commented
>> so I am wondering the function of this module ?Is it the same of
>> xxx-stubs.jar ?
>
> suncompat provides some Sun internal classes that are widely used by
> applications. I guess these classes just delegate functions to Harmony
> classes which has equivalent functions. luni-kernel-stubs.jar is just
> stub classes to make compiler happy, the "real" classes are provided by vm.
>

>> 2)
>>    I noticed that there are several modules like yoko , asm ,and so on
>> ,unlike others ,they are in folders .And some of them the manifest file
>> doesn't have the export / import
>> statement including yoko  , yoko-core , yoko.rim , yoko-rmi-impl ,
>> becl.-5.2
>> .So how are they related to the other modules in the jre ?  I have
>> searched
>> several packages of them and found no relation  between them and the
>> other
>> jre modules .
>
> As I know, yoko is rmi provider, asm is used by pack200 module.

Exactly, yoko is as CORBA provider for Harmony (correct me if I was wrong).

--
Best Regards,
Regis.

Re: Questions about suncompat and bootclasspath.properties

Posted by Regis <xu...@gmail.com>.
galaxy wrote:
> Hi ,
> I have several questions about the classlib .
>
> 1)
>     I noticed that the module suncompat isn't in the jre list of jar files
> of harmony and also the lines of suncompat in bootclasspath.properties has
> been commented
> so I am wondering the function of this module ?Is it the same of
> xxx-stubs.jar ?

suncompat provides some Sun internal classes that are widely used by
applications. I guess these classes just delegate functions to Harmony classes
which has equivalent functions. luni-kernel-stubs.jar is just stub classes to

--
Best Regards,
Regis.