Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2001/02/07 08:41:17 UTC

Re: Kill this thread (was: Relative Speeds of XSL Engines Java v s. C++)

Simon,

I think you got me wrong or you must have read somebody else's message. I never
said Cocoon is not a viable technology because it's Java based. (I'm actually
using it myself in some of the projects I work on.) I just said that for
implementing simple, algorithmic programs, C/ Objective-C/C++ will almost
always be faster than Java, given a good compiler implementation (GCC will do
it).

I totally agree with your earlier points that code reuse in Java is much better
than in C++, for example. Also C++ is a poor choice IMO for developing large
scale projects exactly because of its strict enforcement of language rules. I
always used Objective-C, and now Java, instead of C++ for such projects.

I believe you're preaching to the converted here, I'm using Cocoon and Java on
a daily basis for quite some time now. And if you carefully read my original
reply you will notice my above points.

Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>