Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Maxime Brugidou <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/01 08:35:24 UTC

Persistent resource volumes

Hi,

We have been talking more and more about the long-awaited feature at

I started looking at what have been done in the APIs and as far as I
understand framework will be able to reserved and unreserve resources with
DiskInfo. Each DiskInfo has a persistent id and a volume. The host_path in
DiskInfo is ignored (only used for containerInfo).

Question: how could can we tell the mesos slave which disks to allocate and
how do we identify disks? My slaves have multiple disks mounted, with
different characteristics and sizes. Some are more appropriate for HDFS use
and some for Cassandra. Right now everything is done out of band but I
wonder how this could be done with persistent resources.

Same question with dynamic reservations: how can I reserve a disk and not
just some disk space quota? I clearly don't want my applications to all
work on the sane disk (really bad for IO).

Maybe I missed the design doc or there is a more detailed description of
the future feature somewhere?

Thanks for your help,
Maxime

Re: Persistent resource volumes

Posted by Maxime Brugidou <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks i didn't know about MESOS-191. I think that it is indeed not easy to
manage the disk resource. The simplest solution would be in addition to
offer "space" on the workspace volume, to simply dedicate other
volumes/disks/spindles (configured in the slave) to some frameworks. The
DiskInfo would identify the disk by mount point?

The longer-term solution would be to:
* attach metadata to the DiskInfo for disk type and speed (ssd, 5krpm,
15krpm...) In addition to size, this could be easy to standardize and add
in the API
* allow frameworks to take over the full disk or just part of it with I/O
isolation
* allow frameworks to use a mounted and formatted disk partition or
directly the device (some frameworks could prefer to format the device the
way they prefer for special filesystems)

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.