Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Margus Roo <ma...@roo.ee> on 2015/01/19 17:38:24 UTC

Where to find reason why message fails in topology

Hi

I have simple topology Kafka consumer (Spout) and HBase writer (bolt)

Sometimes some messages getting failed status. Most of time topology
works well but I'd like to know what is exact reason why message fails.
As much I have read there is timeout (default 30s) when message fails.
But this is not enough. I need to know where is bottleneck to improve.
Timeouts appears behind spout. As much I understand Spout gets ack in
case message is fully processed by topology.
So the question is where to dig ?

--
Margus (margusja) Roo
http://margus.roo.ee

Re: Where to find reason why message fails in topology

Posted by Kosala Dissanayake <um...@gmail.com>.
You seem to have a problem with bolt 2.

Complete latency is the time that it takes for a tuple to be completely
processed by the topology (you can see this description if you hover for a
moment on the heading on Storm UI)

Try increasing the parallelism of the bolt and see if that helps with the
problem. Though I would suspect that you have some kind of memory leak /
increased memory usage on this bolt as the stream goes on which is why it
slows down only after some time has passed.

Also maybe check the utilization (esp. CPU) on the spout worker machine to
see if it is being starved in resources resulting in it taking time to
process the acks received.

Posted by Margus Roo <ma...@roo.ee>.

Posted by Margus Roo <ma...@roo.ee>.
Hi