Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Janes <je...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/17 01:57:22 UTC

[users@httpd] building 2.4.3 --with-included-apr

I'm building the apache httpd on CentOS6, whose standard repository
has too old of an APR, so I am using --with-included-apr.

The build process gives some warnings I'm trying to figure out what
(if anything) to do about.

However, in this email I'm using "Amazon Linux" as a proxy for
CentOS6, as that makes it easier to get a clean system that other
people can replicate.  The problem exists here as well.

There are some sh script warnings that as far as I can tell don't do
any harm.  But there are two more:

1) "apr/apr-util is compiled without ldap support".

If the default configuration of httpd-2.4.3.tar.bz2 wants apr/apr-util
to be compiled with ldap support (I didn't ask for --enable-ldap), why
doesn't httpd-2.4.3-deps.tar.bz2 ship that way?

2) "Your APR does not include SSL/EVP support. To enable it: configure
--with-crypto"

Should I worry about this?  I didn't ask for enable-ssl in this
instance.  But if I do specify enable-ssl, I still get this warning,
but everything seems to work anyway.  Does this warning mean the use
of https with the built system is insecure for some non-obvious
reason?

Also, what is it that is supposed to be confgured "--with-crypto"?  I
tried configuring httpd that way, and also trying configuring APR that
way, and neither made the warning go away.

Steps to reproduce is below.

Cheers,

Jeff

Starting up Amazon Linux AMI x86_64 EBS  ami-aecd60c7

sudo yum -y install cpan gcc make pcre-devel openldap-devel openssl-devel
wget http://apache.claz.org//httpd/httpd-2.4.3.tar.bz2
wget http://apache.claz.org//httpd/httpd-2.4.3-deps.tar.bz2
tar xf httpd-2.4.3.tar.bz2
tar xf httpd-2.4.3-deps.tar.bz2
cd httpd-2.4.3
./configure --with-included-apr  > /dev/null

I get this output:

rm: cannot remove `conftest*': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `conftest*': No such file or directory
grep: /home/ec2-user/httpd-2.4.3/srclib/apr/libtool: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `libtoolT': No such file or directory
configure: WARNING: apr/apr-util is compiled without ldap support
configure: WARNING: apr/apr-util is compiled without ldap support
configure: WARNING: Your APR does not include SSL/EVP support. To
enable it: configure --with-crypto