Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by giorgos <gi...@perlfect.com> on 2002/10/03 17:31:21 UTC

how to detect a broken connection using mod_proxy

hi all,

i am running standard setup with one plain apache with mod_proxy and a
mod_perl apache to which all mod_perl requests are directed by the proxy
module.

i want to be able to detect when the client connection breaks but all
standard recipes like the one mentioned in p.147 of the cookbook don't
work due the use of mod_proxy.

does anyone know of a trick to detect when the connection is broken in
such a scenario so that i can free up cpu resources? (i have a set of 4
heavy sql stm's. after each one of them i would like to check if the
client is still there so that i will proceed to the next one or just
return OK and forget about the request).

many thanks,
giorgos

Re: how to detect a broken connection using mod_proxy

Posted by Robert Landrum <rl...@aol.net>.
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:51:12PM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > heavy sql stm's. after each one of them i would like to check if the
> > client is still there so that i will proceed to the next one or just
> > return OK and forget about the request).
>
> As far as I know you can't do that, since mod_proxy doesn't cooperate
> with the backend.
>
> Anybody knows of similar to mod_proxy modules that do play nicely with
> the backend regarding aborted connections?

I've never used it, but wasn't mod_backhand supposed to do this?

Rob

--
Robert Landrum
Systems Programmer

Re: how to detect a broken connection using mod_proxy

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi Stas,

Welcome back!  How was China?

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Anybody knows of similar to mod_proxy modules that do play nicely with
> the backend regarding aborted connections?

I think dapi said his mod_accel might do that, and wasn't mod_deflate
supposed to do something like that too?  Can't remember.

73,
Ged.

Re: how to detect a broken connection using mod_proxy

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.