Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Spico Florin <sp...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/14 13:05:34 UTC

KSQL tumbling window on a custom timestamp message field

Hello!

 I've read about the KSQL streaming SQL for Kafka. In my opinion, this is a
big step for performing complex event processing on streams.

In the provides examples there is a TUMBLING window function.
By default, I assume that the windowing is performed on  the timestamp
generated by the system.

I would like to know, if there is any support in KSQL to perform window
function a custom field from the message ( for example timestamp or any
field that contains time format).

I look forward for your answers.

Best regards,
 Florin

Re: KSQL tumbling window on a custom timestamp message field

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
Hi Florin,

just want to point out that KSQL is not part of Apache Kafka and you
might ask your questions on Confluent Google Group instead:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/confluent-platform

To answer your question: by default KSQL uses the record embedded
metadata timestamp for tumbling windows. However, KSQL can use any
attribute at timestamp field, too.

You would use a 'WITH (TIMESTAMP = columname)' clause. Cf.
https://github.com/confluentinc/ksql/blob/v0.5/docs/syntax-reference.md#create-stream

-Matthias