Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2006/04/19 21:02:33 UTC

[Proposal] Tomahawk *enlarging* components set

Hi,

currently Sean is about to triger the new tomahawk-1.1.2 release.
After he managed that release, I think we can start to move some
sandbox stuff up to tomahawk.

There was a vote already on "Schedule" component. I just tested that
component against jsf-ri 1.1_01. I clicked some links on the provided
example. Also "fisheye" works, but it is to early for upgrating that
dojo stuff. Just clicked of own interest :-)

I figured out that Sandbox examples are missing some resource bundles ... ([1])
I'll take care next days.

--
Matthias Wessendorf
Aechterhoek 18

Re: [Proposal] Tomahawk *enlarging* components set

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks for pointing it out.

I created [1]. Feel free to add / remove / discuss requirements!

-Matthias

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/promotion

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 4/19/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the sandbox examples are missing all of the "shared" resources
> (and classes) from the Tomahawk myfaces-example-simple maven project,
> not just the resource bundles.   At least, this has been the case when
> I've tried to use the sandbox "target" WEB-INF directory to run the
> examples.   I've generally had to rename and copy over the
> myfaces-example-simple classes directory contents and rename and copy
> over the myfaces-example-simple faces-config.xml file as well to make
> them run correctly.
>
> I can't remember if I got around to opening a JIRA issue on this.

Created http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMAHAWK-263 so we don't
lose track of this again.

Possible solution might be to have the myfaces-example-simple artifact
construct an examples-tomahawk.jar file that's copied into the sandbox
WEB-INF/lib directory.

Re: [Proposal] Tomahawk *enlarging* components set

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
missing to add [1]

http://tinyurl.com/ozm2x

-Matthias

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Matthias Wessendorf schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> currently Sean is about to triger the new tomahawk-1.1.2 release.
> After he managed that release, I think we can start to move some
> sandbox stuff up to tomahawk.

+1 from my side, it is a shame that the sandbox already is almost as big
as tomahawk itself.
Some of this stuff needs to be promoted

> There was a vote already on "Schedule" component. I just tested that
> component against jsf-ri 1.1_01. I clicked some links on the provided
> example. Also "fisheye" works, but it is to early for upgrating that
> dojo stuff. Just clicked of own interest :-)

Well dojo will be an issue for 0.3. My guess is that the codebase we
have now for the dojo initialisation is stable and bugfree enough, but I
want to move on to the next release and have our rather complicated
components break upfront in the sandbox instead of having them break
in Tomahawk, if such a thing happens.

The strategy of providing a common tools class instead of having an
entire inheritance hierarchy seems to work well.
Almost no code breakage even at a heavy refactoring of the dojo loading
and the tools class still is very compact and has not changed
significantly the last weeks.

Also there has to be some work done on the loading itself, which I could
not find time for yet, to constant change requests by a customer, I am
doing a set of components for.
(If someone wants to work at it, we have to move the dojo codebase
partially from dynamic on demand loading,
to static includes, to improve the loading times on mozilla, either with
an extended static dojo build or by moving 1-2 requires in the dojo
tools class onto includes)

But I think if the dojo guys can pull 0.3 off a promotion of the dojo
core into tom or shared (the tobago and guys may want to use it as well)
might be possible, depending on how long for I will get two change
requests on the same component per day, 7 days a week.

Btw. another sidenote to that, John and Jonas are working on an
excellent project called weblets. If someone is not aware of it, this
is basically a project to ease the burden of resource handling.
What they want to provide in the long run is that you basically can push
resources like the Dojo lib via Maven2 into a project and the weblets
provide extensive loading mechanisms for most frameworks there are.
URL hiding etc is included. For JSF they want to do that over
Phase listeners (which is fine with me, since other loading mechanisms
are provided as well)

The only downside so far is, that they use their own view handler, which
is not mandatory, just for the sake of API reasons.
We really should look into that also for our own stuff, because in the
end if this works out, adding a new resource bundle and javascript lib
sort of will become plug and play, and also it would take the
integration burden from us somewhat.(I am a huge fan of not inventing
the wheel ;-), especially if others take care of making the wheel round
enough )

> I figured out that Sandbox examples are missing some resource bundles ... ([1])
> I'll take care next days.

Thanks.