Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roger Roger <rx...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/23 11:32:05 UTC

Tomcat 6 + SSL

I would like to install Tomcat 6.0 with SSL. Tomcat 6.0 works, and I can get
Tomcat 5.5 working with SSL. For some reason I cannot get this to work with
6.0. Do you have any ideas or suggestions what might cause this? I'm working
on a Windows machine.

Thanks, Roger

Re: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> setup wouldn't help you at all wrt creating a HTTP Connector.

Sorry, HTTP*S* Connector was what I wanted to say.

Regards
  mks

Re: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
if you are using APR, then you need a different set of options in the
<Connector> element,
take a look at the SSL documentation again

Filip

RE: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Roger Roger [mailto:rxt360@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 + SSL
>
> I would like to know what is better to use, and more secure.

Security should be the same, regardless of the connector flavor.  APR
should perform better, if that's a concern.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by Roger Roger <rx...@gmail.com>.

RE: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Roger Roger wrote:

> Hi Markus, I'm not sure. I've installed Tomcat 6.0, the default
> installation, and don't know about APR. Googling for it I see it refers to
> Apache Portable Runtime.

Yep.

> When I look at the server.xml I find the following:
>
> <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"
> SSLEngine="on" />
>
> So it looks like it does use APR but I'm not sure about it. If I comment
> this out and restart, it still doesn't work.

Don't comment the Listener! It doesn't turn on APR but simply logs
useful information about whether or not APR is used. Look into the log
files to see whether or not Tomcat has found tcnative-1.dll which is
needed to use APR functionality.
If you're indeed using APR and did a "default installation" as you say
above, you'll propably find tcnative-1.dll in Tomcat's bin/ directory.
If this is the case, move the DLL out of the way to make Tomcat use the
pure Java implementation of the HTTP(S) Connectors.

Regards
  mks

Re: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by Roger Roger <rx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Markus, I'm not sure. I've installed Tomcat 6.0, the default
installation, and don't know about APR. Googling for it I see it refers to
Apache Portable Runtime.

When I look at the server.xml I find the following:

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"
SSLEngine="on" />

So it looks like it does use APR but I'm not sure about it. If I comment
this out and restart, it still doesn't work.

R.

Re: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.

Re: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by Roger Roger <rx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Srinivas, I used that manual to setup SSL on Tomcat 5.5. That worked. I
created a keystore key, and put it in:

C:\Tomcat\keystore\.keystore

I used the following connector:
<Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
keystoreFile="C:\Tomcat\keystore\.keystore"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

I tried this with a keystore filename without the starting dot, but that
didn't change anything. Remember that this setup works with Tomcat 5.5.

When I run netstat and open a page, I see the following:

TCP    DESKTOP1:8443            localhost:1510         CLOSE_WAIT
TCP    DESKTOP1:8443            localhost:wins         CLOSE_WAIT
TCP    DESKTOP1:8443            localhost:1513         CLOSE_WAIT

Can you confirm that you have SSL working with Tomcat 6.0?

RE: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by Velidanda Srinivas <sr...@singularity.co.uk>.

RE: Tomcat 6 + SSL

Posted by Velidanda Srinivas <sr...@singularity.co.uk>.