Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Christopher Dolan <ch...@avid.com> on 2010/10/13 19:06:21 UTC

Proposal: change com.sun.jini.landlord to be public API

The com.sun.jini.landlord classes are self-described as "a utility for
services implementing leases".  The package.html says:

   "Using the classes in this package, you can write services that
export leases and handle primarily those factors that are unique to your
service, letting the utility classes do generic lease-related work."

The landlord classes are used by Outrigger, Mahalo, Norm and Mercury.
They are fairly generic and are very useful (my team uses them in two of
our proprietary services).

To prevent developers from reinventing this particular wheel, I propose
that these classes be moved out of the private com.sun.jini namespace
and into the public API, either net.jini.landlord or
org.apache.river.api.landlord.

A significant problem for this proposal is that the following
com.sun.jini.* dependencies would need to be refactored or moved with
the landlord utilities:

  com.sun.jini.landlord.ConstrainableLandlordLeaseMap
     -> com.sun.jini.proxy.ConstrainableProxyUtil
  com.sun.jini.landlord.ConstrainableLandlordLease
     -> com.sun.jini.proxy.ConstrainableProxyUtil
  com.sun.jini.landlord.LandlordLease
     -> com.sun.jini.lease.AbstractLease
  com.sun.jini.landlord.LandlordLeaseMap
     -> com.sun.jini.lease.AbstractLeaseMap

I'm posting this proposal here rather than Jira because I suspect it may
be controversial.

Chris

Re: Proposal: change com.sun.jini.landlord to be public API

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.
Can this be done as part of a major version change to 3.0, along with the entire com.sun.jini namespace to org.apache.river?