Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Scott Stirling <sc...@rcn.com> on 2002/05/08 18:53:45 UTC

Building xdocs - dependencies

Hello,

Building the xdocs target from CVS requires a chain of dependencies
because of AnakiaTask.

1. One needs to download and build Velocity because that's where the
AnakiaTask is and Velocity doesn't have binary builds to download.  Put
Velocity in classpath.

2. Then one needs the jdom jar to get past a failed dependency for the
AnakiaTask.  This can be copied from Velocity's build/lib.

3. jakarta-james\build.xml:498: Could not create task of type: anakia
due to java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/commons/collections/ExtendedProperties

This means the commons-collections.jar from Velocity's build/lib is
needed.  ExtendedProperties isn't in the Avalon collections framework in
CVS.

Is it agreeable to fix these problems by updating and adding the needed
jars to the lib dir in CVS?  Or is there something I'm missing?  I'm
using Ant 1.6alpha.  A different solution would be to get the AnakiaTask
into Ant.

Hmmm.  Another idea is to add these steps to a readme or something.  The
last thing I had to do was download jakarta-site2 for the site.vsl.
Then it dawned on me that all the jars I needed in the steps above were
already in the jakarta-site2/lib dir.  Doh!

Finally -- an small bug in FAQ.xml:

 [anakia] Error: The element type "james" must be terminated by the
matching end-tag "</james>".
 [anakia]        Line: 194 Column: 6

Actually just needs to change <james> to &lt;james&gt;

Best,

Scott Stirling
Framingham, MA

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <da...@apache.org>.
+1

--
ciao,
Daz

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Serge, Danny, Folks,

One after work drink became five and when I got in I figured that I
would not be doing my most diligent commits, so it did not happen last
night as promised.  I'll give it a go tonight!

- Paul

RE: JDBCListserv mailet

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Danny

> > > How hard is it to use sqlResources.xml from inside mailets and
matchers?
> > What is the context of your question?
> I want to use it in a matcher and mailet
> > Are you thinking that mailets and
> > matchers OUGHT to use sqlResources.xml?
> Yes

Take a look at the code I mentioned earlier, and you should see what I mean
about the need for a common helper class.  I don't really have time to do it
now, but maybe I'll make the time, since I've done a lot with that sort of
thing.

Otherwise, it appears to be rather straightforward to use SQLResources.
Just tedious and wasteful without the helper class.

	--- Noel

RE: JDBCListserv mailet

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

RE: JDBCListserv mailet

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Danny,

> How hard is it to use sqlResources.xml from inside mailets and matchers?

What is the context of your question?  Are you thinking that mailets and
matchers OUGHT to use sqlResources.xml?  It isn't hard to do.  Using
sqlResources.xml is not as brain-dead simple as using a few initParameters
(as with JDBCListserv and JDBCAlias), but it does provide additional
functionality if needed.

There ought to be a support class, in addition to SQLResource, that provides
basic support to any repository, matcher or mailet that wants to use
sqlResources.xml.  SQLResource provides basic access to the contents of
sqlResources.xml, but it does not (and should not) provide environment
specific behavior.  There is a lot of code from JDBCMailRepository for
handling SQLResource that should be moved into a common helper class.

This helper class would contain such things as basic stuff for handling the
path, parsing the URL, creating the SQLResource instance, table existence,
connection acquisition, common behaviors to be specialized, etc.

Thoughts?

	--- Noel

JDBCListserv mailet

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
Hi all..

How hard is it to use sqlResources.xml from inside mailets and matchers?

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
There isn't much of any tests, but if you can test it with the file
repository and commit it to CVS, I'll go and make sure the JDBC code is
working.  Hopefully it's just as simple as adding a JDBC driver jar to
the lib dir, configuring the datasource, and specifying db:// instead of
file:// repositories.  The code will autocreate tables as needed.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

RE: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
actually I used pre_avalon_update, and its been done.

RE: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Serge, Danny etc,

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Serge,

> Yeah, I think we have enough votes.  What do we do to get you added?

The usual email to root@apache, listing the voters (name and email addr)
and the date of the vote etc.  Make it clear that I (hammant@apache) am
a committer already.

Regards,

- Paul H

About CharTerminatedInputStream

Posted by Sandeep Sharma <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Stiphen

Awaiting your reply, hope you are back from your
business trip

Bye

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Danny, Serge, folks,

RE: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
+1

RE: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
commiters.. http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

RE: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

RE: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
+1
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
+1

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Serge,

Re: Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Paul,

No, and I'm tired of me holding it up.  :)

 From the sounds of it, it wasn't that big a deal anyway (fortunately),

Latest Phoenix fork

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Serge,

Re: Building xdocs - dependencies

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
I've added the note to this error message in build.xml
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: QA and RE: Building xdocs - dependencies

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Thanks for the FAQ catch.

Any tests would be great!!!  So much could be done, I don't know where
to begin.  If you can figure out how to create tests that can
effectively test small components, that'd be great as for the most part
I would expect that functional tests are realistically all that can be done.

Sure, architecture document would be very useful, and code metrics are
nice (eye-candy if nothing else).  I think further explanation of the
processors and how to configure mailets and matchers would be great as
that doesn't seem well understood or explained.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Posted by Scott Stirling <sc...@rcn.com>.