Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com> on 2004/07/17 12:33:14 UTC

some emails aren't scanned

I've got a big problem here.

Every now and then, i get an influx of incoming emails.

At that time, some of them (around 10 emails every 500 or so)
don't get scanned by SA. I can see this because none of the SA
headers exist in those emails and some of them are spam.

I'm using SA with procmail:

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 512000
| /usr/bin/spamassassin

anyone got any suggestions why some emails dont get scanned?

Re: some emails aren't scanned

Posted by John <li...@slotcar.chicago.il.us>.
On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 07:52:17PM -0500, John wrote:

Also, I am not running procmail.  I am using exiscan-acl.

Re: some emails aren't scanned

Posted by John <li...@slotcar.chicago.il.us>.
On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 11:33:14AM +0100, Dimitrios wrote:

> anyone got any suggestions why some emails dont get scanned?

I am also running 2.63 and have experienced a problem where
certain mails do not get scanned (no headers are inserted
by SA).

It has occured on 3 mails so far.  This is out of maybe 50.
This is a very low volume server.

I notice that all three emails shared at least one similar
trait: they contained two attatchments (one really small
and the other around 172k).

Any ideas?

Re: some emails aren't scanned

Posted by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com>.
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:28:43 -0400 "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> I have had to track a few of these down also.  Some of the un-scanned
> messages were over the size limit I had set similar to your recipe in
> procmail.  You can find this in the maillog file for that message.  I
> believe I tracked some others to spamassassin being restarted ( I think
> at the time some changes to the local.cf file were being made, new
> whitelist entries).  During the time it was being restarted a number of
> messages managed to slip by without being tagged.  Again I found
> evidence of this in the log file.

i haven't been doing any such changes here.

> More recently I had a few messages get by my greylist milter which were
> subsequently caught by spamassassin.  That problem appears to be when
> the system is under load the milter would timeout and the message would
> fall through.  Solution there was to increase the timeouts for the
> milter in the sendmail.mc file.

hmm timeout is indeed a possible problem.

Re: some emails aren't scanned

Posted by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com>.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

QOTD:
	"It's been real and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun."

Re: some emails aren't scanned

Posted by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com>.
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 05:18:52 -0700 "Loren Wilton" <lw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I assume you are still using 2.63?  If so, you aren't the first to notice
> this.

indeed.

> One theory:  Mails that score near Bayes-50 won't show a Bayes score.  But
> I'd think they should still possibly show other scores.

i dont think that is the case because not a single SA header is in those emails.

> Another theory:  If the machine gets really swamped, it seems that messages
> will get skipped.

its a valid theory, because when i get unscanned emails, they are at a time
of a high number of incoming emails.

> Yet another: If network tests are timing out (or maybe just taking too long)
> the processing may get aborted for the message.

another valid theory :]

i'll look at my timeouts.

Re: some emails aren't scanned

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
I assume you are still using 2.63?  If so, you aren't the first to notice
this.
There seems to be several theories, but I don't know that anyone has ever
come up with a definitive proof of how this comes about.  Hopefully it will
be gone on 3.0.

One theory:  Mails that score near Bayes-50 won't show a Bayes score.  But
I'd think they should still possibly show other scores.

Another theory:  If the machine gets really swamped, it seems that messages
will get skipped.

Yet another: If network tests are timing out (or maybe just taking too long)
the processing may get aborted for the message.

        Loren