Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ron Olson <ta...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/26 02:25:27 UTC

Path already exists

Hi all-

Sorry to be such a noob, but I haven't found a satisfactory answer
anywhere via Google et al and this is intensely frustrating:

I have created an svn repository both locally and remote to another
machine where I alreadyh have Apache configured, and I get the same
error every time:

svn: Path 'file:///whatever' already exists

Here's what I'm doing:

$ svnadmin create /Users/ron/svn_test
$ ls ./svn_test
README.txt      dav             format          locks
conf            db              hooks
$ vi nothing.txt
<add a couple of lines to nothing.txt>
$ svn import ./nothing.txt file:///Users/ron/svn_test -m "this will not work"
svn: Path 'file:///Users/ron/svn_test' already exists

This is all happening all of a sudden....I didn't upgrade svn, didn't
touch my machine. To be honest, I haven't *created* a repo for awhile,
I've just been happily working along but now I need to create some
more and I'm getting this.

This is on MacOS X 10.4 using svn 1.2.3 which I got as part of the
Fink project.

I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid, but the doubly stupid part
is that I have no idea what. I verified against the FAQ and the book,
but no joy.

Ron

Re: Path already exists

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 26, 2006, at 04:25, Ron Olson wrote:

> $ svnadmin create /Users/ron/svn_test
> $ ls ./svn_test
> README.txt      dav             format          locks
> conf            db              hooks
> $ vi nothing.txt
> <add a couple of lines to nothing.txt>
> $ svn import ./nothing.txt file:///Users/ron/svn_test -m "this will
> not work"
> svn: Path 'file:///Users/ron/svn_test' already exists

Indicate the complete repository URL at which you want the item to be
available after import:

$ svn import ./nothing.txt file:///Users/ron/svn_test/nothing.txt -m
"this works"

Re: Path already exists

Posted by Elior <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Ron Hi
=====
You need to add the file name you are importing as a postfix of the URL:
svn import -m "this will work" nothing.txt

RE: Path already exists

Posted by Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com>.
Quoth Ron Olson <ma...@gmail.com>:
> I have created an svn repository both locally and remote to
> another machine where I alreadyh have Apache configured, and
> I get the same error every time:
>
> svn: Path 'file:///whatever' already exists
>
> Here's what I'm doing:
>
> $ svnadmin create /Users/ron/svn_test
> $ ls ./svn_test
> README.txt      dav             format          locks
> conf            db              hooks
> $ vi nothing.txt
> <add a couple of lines to nothing.txt>
> $ svn import ./nothing.txt file:///Users/ron/svn_test -m "this will
> not work" svn: Path 'file:///Users/ron/svn_test' already exists

Just a wild stab in the dark, but try adding an extra / after the URL...

I almost never use import myself, though -- I prefer creating the trunk
folder directly in the repo and then checking it out.  While it's empty
you can even check it out to an existing folder, and then you can 'svn
add' from there.  Gives much better control of what's going on than 'svn
import' does.