Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Balazic <da...@hermes.si> on 2004/03/26 17:02:00 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_alias ScriptAlias opinion please

Hi!

On my web server the documents are stored in CVS and I serve them vith
viewcvs.cgi

The URL look like this :

http://server.name/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/*checkout*/foo/bar/document.html

That looks ugly and is implementation dependent ( we might move the document
to ClearCase,
for example ) so simplified it to :

http://server.name/webdocs1/foo/bar/document.html

With this line in srm.conf :

ScriptAlias /webdocs/ /home/httpd/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/*checkout*/

apache is apache-1.3.20-16 on Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)

What I want to know is if this line is 100% correct or it works ba accident
?

The script is namely /home/httpd/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi , while the /*checkout*/
part is its parameter.

Can I count on this line working with future versions of apache or should I
change it ( how ) ?

TIA, regards,
David

-----------
David Balazic                      mailto:david.balazic@hermes.si
HERMES Softlab                 http://www.hermes-softlab.com
Zolajeva 30                          Phone: +386 2 450 8851
SI-2000 Maribor
Slovenija
-----------
"Be excellent to each other." -
Bill S. Preston, Esq. & "Ted" Theodore Logan
-----------

Re: [users@httpd] mod_alias ScriptAlias opinion please

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, David Balazic wrote:

> ScriptAlias /webdocs/ /home/httpd/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/*checkout*/

> What I want to know is if this line is 100% correct or it works ba accident
> ?

I don't see anything wrong with that.  If it fails to work in the future,
there are plenty of other ways to get the same effect in Apache, so you
won't be lost.

Joshua.