Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@db.com> on 2001/02/12 18:02:37 UTC

Struts user base

I am working on the same project as Mark Mclaren, and have some additional questions regarding Struts:

1. Does anyone have an idea of how many people are developing/using Struts?

I have checked the bug list and indeed it is very small, but I want to know that that is due to product stability, not because of the lack of users. Don't mean to be rude, just cautious.

2. Are there any European users?
3. Does anyone run Struts on commercial servers, e.g. BEA's Weblogic?
4. What is the envisaged frequency of update releases? (just a rough idea, e.g. every 2 quarters, years, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike Dewhirst

--

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: Struts user base

Posted by Oleg V Alexeev <go...@penza.net>.
Hello Mike,

I work with struts about 6 month - great product!

Result - http://www.penza.ru/povolgie - center to publish news from
goverment regional press services in Russia, middle Volga.
Now I work under number of another projects and all of them build on
struts.

MD> I am working on the same project as Mark Mclaren, and have some additional questions regarding Struts:

MD> 1. Does anyone have an idea of how many people are developing/using Struts?

MD> I have checked the bug list and indeed it is very small, but I want to know that that is due to product stability, not because of the lack of users. Don't mean to be rude, just cautious.

MD> 2. Are there any European users?
MD> 3. Does anyone run Struts on commercial servers, e.g. BEA's Weblogic?
MD> 4. What is the envisaged frequency of update releases? (just a rough idea, e.g. every 2 quarters, years, etc.)

MD> Thanks in advance for your help!

MD> Mike Dewhirst

MD> --

MD> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy
MD> this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

--
Best regards,
 Oleg                            mailto:gonza@penza.net

Re[2]: Struts user base

Posted by Oleg V Alexeev <go...@penza.net>.
Hello Craig,

>> 3. Does anyone run Struts on commercial servers, e.g. BEA's Weblogic?

CRM> Yes, there are Struts users on Weblogic and many other server platforms -- the installation docs in the Struts nightly builds have been recently enhanced to include notes about the experience of
CRM> using Struts in such environments.

CRM> One thing that has been quite interesting (to me) is that Struts is often used as a "servlet/JSP compatibility" test by its users, and has triggered service pack updates on quite a few server
CRM> platforms to improve their conformance to the servlet and JSP specs :-).

I try to deploy my struts based application on Resin 1.2.snap
(built Thu Feb  8 18:23:28 PST 2001) and get strings -

500 Servlet Exception
javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError
        at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(SAXParserFactory.java:96)
        at org.apache.struts.digester.Digester.getParser(Digester.java:245)
        at org.apache.struts.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:716)
        at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initMapping(ActionServlet.java:1249)
        at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:438)
        at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:52)
        at com.caucho.server.http.Application.createServlet(Application.java:1726)
        at com.caucho.server.http.Application.loadServlet(Application.java:1690)
        at com.caucho.server.http.Application.initServlets(Application.java:1108)
        at com.caucho.server.http.Application.init(Application.java:1061)
        at com.caucho.server.http.VirtualHost.restartApplication(VirtualHost.java:827)
        at com.caucho.server.http.VirtualHost.getInvocation(VirtualHost.java:586)
        at com.caucho.server.http.ServletServer.getInvocation(ServletServer.java:566)
        at com.caucho.server.http.HttpRequest.handleRequest(HttpRequest.java:236)
        at com.caucho.server.http.HttpRequest.handleConnection(HttpRequest.java:157)
        at com.caucho.server.TcpConnection.run(TcpConnection.java:140)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Previous versions of Resin (to 1.2.2) works fine.

--
Best regards,
 Oleg                            mailto:gonza@penza.net

Re: Struts user base

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Mike Dewhirst wrote:

> I am working on the same project as Mark Mclaren, and have some additional questions regarding Struts:
>
> 1. Does anyone have an idea of how many people are developing/using Struts?

It is pretty hard to know for sure on an open source project, but the subscriber count on STRUTS-USER, as of this morning, is 979.  It's been growing rapidly, especially over the last couple of months.

> I have checked the bug list and indeed it is very small, but I want to know that that is due to product stability, not because of the lack of users. Don't mean to be rude, just cautious.

I would do exactly the same thing in your shoes.

I'm biased (being the primary author), but from what I have seen so far the bug list is small primarily because of stability.  One of the huge benefits of open source development is "distributed debugging" (lots of eyes looking at the code and trying things out).  In the eight months since Struts was started, there
have been *lots* of bug reports (and associated fixes) resulting from this.

> 2. Are there any European users?

A perusal of the mailing list archives indicates that interest in Europe is quite high -- I imagine a lot of this is because of the fact that Struts promotes i18n as a first class notion, instead of something you bolt on later.

> 3. Does anyone run Struts on commercial servers, e.g. BEA's Weblogic?

Yes, there are Struts users on Weblogic and many other server platforms -- the installation docs in the Struts nightly builds have been recently enhanced to include notes about the experience of using Struts in such environments.

One thing that has been quite interesting (to me) is that Struts is often used as a "servlet/JSP compatibility" test by its users, and has triggered service pack updates on quite a few server platforms to improve their conformance to the servlet and JSP specs :-).

> 4. What is the envisaged frequency of update releases? (just a rough idea, e.g. every 2 quarters, years, etc.)

We haven't tried to define a release time frame after 1.0 yet, but here's what I envision:
* Bug fix updates (1.0.x) will happen as often as needed to deal
  with any bugs that are found after 1.0 is released.
* The timeframe for 1.1 depends on how many developers volunteer
  to help out (the current 1.1 TODO list is in the documentation bundle).
  As significant features get completed, there will be a vote on the
  developer list to release updates with new functionality -- I would imagine
  this would happen at least every six months, or faster if more people
  are willing to participate.
* To the maximum degree feasible, applications should be able to
  depend on APIs and functionality throughout the 1.x family of
  releases.

> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Mike Dewhirst

Craig McClanahan

Re: Struts user base

Posted by Jannik Nørgaard Steen <js...@digitalzone.dk>.
Hi,

we are a danish company in the Media Asset Management business. We are
developing our web-interface and have based it entirely on Struts.
We are using Borland App Server 4.5 as EJB-backend, with Apache and Resin on
the side.

/jannik

Re: Struts user base

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
You probably want to spend some time in the mail archives.

The Struts-User archive at < http://mail-archive.com > is my personal
favorite.

It was recently mentioned that there are over 900 subscribers to the
mailing lists.

Jakarta projects offer nightly builds with the latest fixes.

How often formal releases happen depend on how many people contribute.

Your team, for example, could offer patches and improvements to the
code, and eventually become Committers. You could then help decide when
and how many of these things happen.

Struts is standards-based, and works with most containers. WebLogic 5.1
with sp8 is fine, and WegLogic 6 is suppose to a no-brainer.